[kictanet] Orange to stop hosting non .ke domains

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Apr 15 10:41:42 EAT 2013

Tony

Your argument about local hosting presumes well developed and reliable
infrastructure to handle traffic. Even though we have local web hosting and
the KIXP to handle that, the truth of the matter is that we are still far
from Utopia.

The best example is during downtimes when undersea cables are cut. Ideally
this shouldnt affect locally hosted sites right?  Why then do we face
issues even with the Google local .ke site?

I would like to promote local hosting like most local business people but
not at the expense of jeopardizing customer experience.

The truth of the matter is that web hosting service providers require the
level of investment and customer service that unfortunately is still not
available locally.

I love the concept of 'Internet Miles' but I am afraid it will require
concerted efforts to move this in the right direction. Industry players
find it difficult to collaborate in infrastructure building. We need to
resolve this mindset first, pull investments together and let companies
compete on service provision and innovation. The time is coming when this
build out will have to be done with Government Collaboration otherwise we
will forever be discoursing in lists on what might have been.

*Ali Hussein*

*CEO, 3mice interactive media ltd*

*Partner, Telemedia Africa Ltd
*