[kictanet] Laptops for 2014 class 1 entrants

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 11 17:39:00 EAT 2013

Hi Brian,

It seems that we have a consensus that the traditional laptop is not the way to go, touch is critical and rich multimedia.

I took the next step and searched for a sub $100 tablet and got very many http://www.ainovo.com/elfii.html, http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/president-launches-low-cost-aakash-2-tablet-291330 power is a major issue but I am sure someone out there will offer a workable solution preferably based on solar.  We do not need to try and bring manufacturing in initially as the we still cannot get to the economies of scale that China has achieved but KQ could offer free shipping.

The critical issue will be what will come pre-installed in device and how do we make sure that the headmasters or teachers do not decide to keep them in safe custody?  Definitely a very feature rich drawing and painting program is essential with a photo editor.  I believe a local app-store will be another essential component with local developers throwing out applications in the thousands and then leave the rest to the children.

regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor