[kictanet] Expensive Airtel?

Caroline Michuki w_irungu at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 7 12:33:46 EAT 2013

Sent from Samsung Mobile

"Song, Stephen" <stephen.song at gmail.com> wrote:

An interesting aside from the Canadian telecommunications sector. In 2009, Industry Canada (the ministry responsible for telecommunications) spent tens of thousands of dollars developing a mobile plan comparison tool to assist frustrated consumers in choosing the right plan/service/operator. It was well-designed and had received praise from the focus groups it was tested on. Despite this the project was killed weeks before it was due to launch. Why? Lobbying and threats of lawsuits from mobile operators.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2009/08/31/ottawa_killed_cellphone_cost_calculator.html

Complex pricing tariffs only serve the operators not the customers. The mobile operators clearly feared people actually being able to properly compare tarifs.

IMO, the problem is not whether or not to have a plan comparison tool. The problem is that the mobile operators are allowed to use such perniciously complex plans. Some supermarkets post the price/100g of products on their shelves to stop companies from altering sizes slightly to create the appearance but not the reality of a discount. Perhaps operators should be obliged to post the average cost of a plan according to a standard OECD price basket. Free telecom disrupted the entire telecom industry in France in part by coming up with a 1 price approach to their service.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/03/how-the-telecom-company-free-disrupted-the-mobile-landscape-in-france/

If the CCK ought to do anything at all, perhaps it should be in the realm of enforcing simplicity and comparability of plans rather than trying to develop complex tools to analyse complex plans.

-Steve Song