[kictanet] Another wave of cyber attacks against Kenya?

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 12:59:53 EAT 2013

Yesterday the website of a legal firm specializing in intellectual property
that belongs to a friend was hacked and defaced. I discovered when going to
look up some materials on copyright and immediately alerted him, he has
since mobilized his web designer/hosting company to deal with the issue.

I managed to take a screenshot of the homepage in it's "hacked" state. As
you can see the "hackers" claim to be from Saudi Arabia and (as can be
expected) are very proud that they have compromised this site. In the
background is the logo of Backtrack, which could is a linux distribution
designed for information security that consists of a wide range of "hacker"
tools.
[image: Inline image 1]
This incident could be evidence of the beginning of another wave of attacks
against Kenyan systems on the Internet.

We desperately need an awareness campaign that will alert website
owners/operators to the dangers and prompt them to get themselves checked
(like the HIV campaign).

Best regards,

Brian