[kictanet] An Open Letter on the ICT Sector to President Uhuru and Deputy President Ruto

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Tue Apr 2 08:04:43 EAT 2013

Dear Mr.President and Deputy President

As you embark on your journey to transform Kenya into a Digital Country
here are a few suggestions, humby submitted:-

1. The idea of giving every child a laptop is a good one but it must be
followed by real efforts to encourage and incubate local content otherwise
we will loose control of what our children read.

2. We have made great efforts in improving ICT infrastructure but alot
still needs to be done. Some great initiatives have already been started.
They need your personal attention:-

    a. KENET - Kenya Education Network (KENET) is a National Research and
Education Network that promotes the use of ICT in Teaching, Learning and
Research in Higher Education Institutions in Kenya. KENET is already
rolling out high speed internet in Universities. This needs to be expanded
to all institutions of learning. It is a shame for example that schools in
informal settlements do not have either computers or internet access in
Nairobi. I shudder to think what happens when we move beyond Nairobi.

    b. The Universal Access Fund - The Kenya Communications (Amendment)
Act, 2009, provides for the establishment of a Universal Service Fund
(USF), administered and managed by CCK. The purpose of the Fund is to
support widespread access to ICT services, promote capacity building and
innovations in ICT services in the country.  Sources of Funds come from
Licensees, appropriations form Government as well as grants and donations.
The USF act of 2009 has been just that....an Act until recently when the
Board was constituted. I humbly ask that this be in your To Do List for the
forseeable future.

    c. Husband the formation of the new Independent Communications
Commission of Kenya (ICCK) which will replace the current CCK. This is in
line with the new constitution and will go a long way in adding much needed
gravitas in the regulation of this important sector (Which I daresay your
campaign ably borrowed from during the electioneering period with the word
'Digital'). This new look ICCK will have seven commissioners selected
through competitive interview process by the Public Service Commission and
the names forwarded to the President for final approval. Each of the
Commissioners will have specific roles like compliance, spectrum among
other roles.

     d. Enhance the Ministry of Information and ensure that the Technocrats
leading it are steeped in the industry, have a track record and able to
navigate and steer the country to truly be the Silicon Savannah of Africa.

3. Without a strong educational infrastructure and a culture of learning
all the above will be for nought. I humby request that we relook closely
the current practice of turning all Polytechnics into Universities. There
is a place for all in the educational space. We need academics,
enterpreneurs, professional managers and artisans for us to move this great
nation of ours towards Vision 2030. We must ensure that the whole
educational ecosystem serves all these different needs.

4. We must inculcate and encourage a research oriented Higher Education
(Universities) system deeply entrenched in social needs, business, health
etc. Universities should not be set up as profit centres but centres of
excellence where we go to draw from to feed our various needs. Businesses
should be encouraged to partner with Universities to bring out the best
talent and ideas for our country.

I am sure that there are other issues to be dealt with but I humbly submit
that this would be a good starting point.

*Ali Hussein*

*CEO, 3mice interactive media ltd*

*Partner, Telemedia Africa Ltd
*