[kictanet] I don’t trust the CCK over this fake phone switch-off

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 30 23:32:28 EAT 2012

Listers
This is an opinion piece.
IN SUMMARYAs long as phones require SIM cards to use, there really is no security implication of using a counterfeit mobile. One is already required by law to register SIM cards, so CCK had better come clean over thisThe Kenya Bureau of Standards is unable to detect fake phones and relies heavily on mobile phone manufacturers, according to the Business Daily. Ladies and gentlemen, Kenya is facing a plague of regulatory bodies receiving assistance from those they are meant to police.Already, two companies associated with phone manufacturers have materialised to recycle dead phones. Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Centre Limited is working in tandem with Samsung to recycle counterfeit phones, which will now be classified as e-waste.Nokia has a recycling drop-off point for unloved phones. Both operations recycle phones regardless of whether they are genuine or counterfeit. The furnace is the great equaliser for the electronic dead; they all go in together for cremation, regardless of the brand they carried in their former lives.I have a feeling that these counterfeits will be disembowelled for their parts, then electronically reincarnated as branded CCK-approved phones.
http://www.nation.co.ke/Features/DN2/I+dont+trust+the+CCK+over+this+fake+phone+switch+off+/-/957860/1521346/-/item/0/-/wdpvvt/-/index.html