[kictanet] Music Piracy in Kenya - Government can Help

Bernard Kioko [Bernsoft Interactive Limited] bkioko at bernsoft.com
Fri Sep 28 10:22:42 EAT 2012

John,

Your comments are correct. We have to employ various methods to achieve a
certain level of non-piracy. 100% non-piracy if we can would be greatest.

Our strategy includes other initiatives as well:

1.       Artist, Producer education on their rights in a song.

2.       Engage Kenya Copyright Board and MCSK,KAMP, PRISK to try and create
a functional licensing framework.

3.       Provide options for consumers to access content legally - these
already exist we just need highlight them.

4.       Educate the consumer on benefits of caring about music and rights.

5.       Take legal action on parties that are unwilling to cooperate on the
corrective measures.

Am sure there are afew more I can remember right now but we have already
started talking to a number of companies seeking support.

Regards