[kictanet] Counterfeit Phones/Devices

Moses Muya mouzmuyer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 08:52:28 EAT 2012

Listers,

Follow my logic for a moment. MNOs will be 'switching off' counterfeit devices soon meaning that they can tell which gadgets are original and which ones are counterfeit. Wouldn't it be a good idea for Safaricom, Airtel, Orange and Yu Mobile to start informing their clients whether their phones will be switched off or not via text? A message in the format "Dear customer, your IMEI number ************* shows that you device is counterfeit. Kindly purchase an original device to continue enjoying our services. Thank you."  I would imagine the cost of doing this is Ksh.0 within their networks - but I stand to be corrected. For those who have original devices, the message would read "Dear customer. From your IMEI number, we can tell our device is original. This means that you will continue enjoying our services come ** September 2012. Thank you."