[kictanet] Harm caused by ill-thought out WCIT proposals to developing world

Wambua, Christopher Wambua at cck.go.ke
Mon Sep 24 15:39:00 EAT 2012

Walu

It is important to note that all the regions of the world have different
positions on the ITRs. There are those who are of the view that the ITRs
should remain as they are. Another school of thought argues that a
review is necessary but should be minimal, only addressing those
provisions that have been overtaken by technological and market
developments. The third school argues that review should be extensive as
the global telecoms industry has changed enormously since 1988.

The outcome of WCIT-12 will be a product of negotiations/trade-off
between these three schools of thought. And that why all regions of the
world are developing regional positions so that they can have higher
leverage in the negotiations. What Kenya, or Africa for that matter,
will take to Dubai will therefore have to be subjected to this process.
I believe the ITU shall publish the final ITRs (Final Acts) after the
conference.

 I hope this is helpful.

Wambua