[kictanet] Orange TKL - Request for assistance

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 15:58:12 EAT 2012

Hi Washington
This is an issue of infrastructure sharing and co-location and most
regulators in Africa (and perhaps around the world) that are cognizant
of various issues like the environment, scarce natural resources
(hills) and also sympathetic to operators needs to manage capital
costs/wastage/duplication, are actively encouraging operators to share
non core infrastructure like towers/masts/fibre/etc

I stumbled across a document on the CCK site that reads, in part:

"4.5.3 Each Operator shall, upon receipt of a request to collocate,
avail its terms for site sharing or colocation. The process of
requesting for site sharing or co-location shall be as set out in
Annex III.
4.5.4 An Operator who declines a request to site share or co-locate
shall be obliged to give its reasons to
justify such refusal to site share or co-locate in writing to the
requesting Operator.
4.5.4.1 any request for collocation/site-sharing that is declined,
whether justifiable or not, shall
be reported to the Administrator of this Code by the requesting
licensee, including the
reasons advanced for the denial"

The document is entitled "CODE OF PRACTICE FOR THE  DEPLOYMENT OF
COMMUNICATIONS INFRASTRUCTURE IN KENYA" - it is not dated.

So I gather its AK that should implore CCK to intervene.   While they
are right in keeping you in the loop as to why there is a bottle neck,
its their job to pursue that.

Here is the full
document....http://www.cck.go.ke/regulations/downloads/Codes_of_Practice_Infrustructure.pdf

One question - if TKL are the ones with a tower/mast - why not deal
directly with them?

Rgds

On 16 September 2012 10:04, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello listers,
>
> Does someone here know someone who knows someone at Orange TKL who can help
> me out?
>
> I am waiting for connectivity to some remote place in the wilderness of
> Nanyuki for 1 month now. The cause? Access Kenya Projects Team is waiting
> for clearance from to access an Orange Kenya mast in Nanyuki - which is
> where my radios need to be mounted.
>
> My understanding is that Access Kenya is leasing mast space from Orange
> Kenya's facility in Nanyuki town. However, waiting for 1 month to get
> approval to access the mast doesn't sound quite right, but that is what I am
> told it is.
>
> Seriously, I believe the sharing of the mast is a commercial venture between
> the two providers. There must be a way to shorten the bureaucratic tape at
> Orange Kenya. I am waiting for service and I so hope someone knows someone,
> honestly.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Odhiambo WASHINGTON,