[kictanet] Book and New Report on Internet Public Policy Dialogue Available for Download

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 12:53:41 EAT 2012

Listers
Please see an excerpt on KICTANet from the New Book and New Report on Internet Public Policy Dialogue  by Akoh,B., Egede-Nissen, B., & Creech, H. (2012)http://www.iisd.org/publications/pub.aspx?pno=1619

KICTAnet, the Kenya ICT Action Network.The Kenya ICT Action Network, or KICTAnet for short, presents itself as a good example of an organization that has been successful at fostering meaningful, substantive online debate among stakeholders of different backgrounds. KICTAnet was launched in late 2004 using mailing lists as its core communication and coordination mechanism. It was brought to life by a combination of private forces as well as foreign donor money after several organizations involved in ICT policy had lamented the lack of an open and inclusive national policy process in Kenya. It has developed into a broad platform for discussion of ICT policy and related issues. Operationally, KICTAnet does so through the use of multiple mailing lists, with dedicated lists for stakeholder groups (e.g., academia, civil society and the private sector), administrative lists, and lists for committees and projects that are created for different purposes. As an example of the level of activity that it enjoys, in the month of July 2011 the “ICT policy discussions” list received more than 500 messages and there is a clear trend toward increased activity. On the technological side, KICTAnet uses Mailman, an open source mailing list manager for Linux maintained by the Free Software Foundation. Mailman uses the SMTP (outgoing email) protocol and all users receive new messages and replies in their email inboxes as plain text, thus building on a well-established and available technology, yet using little bandwidth. This is an important consideration in a developing context, where bandwidth could act as a major constraint.The network quickly became actively engaged in the ICT policy process in Kenya, its activities expanding beyond cyberspace and into the real world. An early and significant victory for KICTAnet came right after its inception, when it managed to convince the Kenyan government to let it take charge of organizing the multistakeholder consultations for a draft ICT bill. In addition to its discussion boards, KICTAnet organizers used “workshops, seminars, […] roundtable discussions and constituency-level forums” to develop a common position on the proposed bill. In June 2005 it further worked with the Ministry of Information and Communications, other government agencies and private stakeholders to organize a policy workshop, the output of which was incorporated into the bill. With a national ICT policy framework in place, KICTAnet has turned its attention to other pressing issues and is currently engaged in two projects, one concerning e-waste management and the other concerning the problem of cybercrime against women. It further puts itself at the centre of a broad movement that fostered the East African Internet Governance Forum, and it keeps moving forward with new initiatives. KICTAnet’s success shows the potential of online discussion forums. On one hand, although it started as a mere discussion space, it soon morphed into something more, becoming a catalyst for ICT policy. On the other hand, much of the substantive policy discussion that KICTAnet has engendered through its mailing list has had impacts in areas outside of it. The prevailing lesson here is that KICTAnet has used discussion lists as only one tool, deploying a host of other tools when necessary to facilitate constructive multistakeholder cooperation.Sources: KICTAnet (2011); KICTAnet (2012); Munyua & Mureithi (2007).