[kictanet] Standard Digital News : State warned on ditching copyrighted software

Davis Onsakia mautidavis at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 07:58:34 EAT 2012

+1 Moses.

I read that article and was most disappointed with the author  and the
sentiments from Microsoft. But as you have said it clearly, you cannot
expect the Microsofts and Oracles of this world to be happy with any
mention of open source deployments more so from big clients like the
government itself.

People (and the media) should be educated on what open source is and what
it can do. In fact, one of the strengths of open source is better and
enhanced security. Who can detect a hole in an open source technology and
it is not fixed within two days; courtesy of the community movement?
However, the deployment of open source is as good as the implementation and
hence training is very key when it comes to open source software and
technologies.

Since we like looking to the West and lately East, be informed that the
Cabinet Office of the UK has an open source policy, meaning that they have
taken open source seriously in their strategic plan. The policy states:'*Where
appropriate, Government will procure open source solutions*'. Check this
link -
http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/resource-library/open-source-procurement-toolkit
.

Also, the Malaysia government deploys everything open source. If there is
no open source solution for what they are looking for, they pay
Universities and colleges to come up with an open source software for that.
Their PM is the patron for this initiative. Check the link -
http://www.oscc.org.my/ - the Malaysia government open source portal for
more information.

So open source is here to stay and is a game changer for the ICT industry.

Best Regards,
Davis M Onsakia
"One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
shore for a very long time."