[kictanet] New Twist in Carjacking - with ICT this criminal could be behind bars

Edwin Onchari eonchari at lynxbits.com
Thu Sep 13 19:23:10 EAT 2012

Listers,

I thought I should share this to highlight the urgency of entrenching and
investing in ICT in our law enforcement agencies. It would have been so easy
to dust for prints and run against a criminal database/register of
persons..wonder how many have fallen victim

Edwin

Please sample this, and watch out:

This is very scary and could happen to any of us. Seems like every nice
thing people do for one another can be perverted.  A new twist on kidnapping
from a very smart survivor:

About a week ago there was a woman standing by the Sarit Centre entrance in
Westlands, this woman had finished shopping, went out to her car and
discovered that she had a flat tyre.

She got the jack out of the trunk and began to change the flat tyre.  A nice
man dressed in a business suit and carrying a briefcase walked up to her and
said, "I noticed you're changing a flat tyre.

Would you like me to take care of it for you?"  The woman was grateful for
his offer and accepted his help.

They chatted amiably while the man changed the tyre, and then put the flat
tyre and the jack in the boot, shut it and dusted his hands off.

The woman thanked him profusely, and as she was about to get in her car, the
man told her that he left his car around at The Mall, and asked if she would
mind giving him a lift to his car.

She was a little surprised and she asked him why his car was at The Mall.

He said that he left his car because of a traffic Jam, and now he was
running late.  The woman hated to tell him "no" because he had just rescued
her from having to change her flat tire all by herself, but she felt uneasy.
(Trust that gut feeling!)

Then she remembered seeing the man put his briefcase in her boot before
shutting it and before he asked her for a ride to his car.

She told him that she'd be happy to drive him around to his car, but she
just remembered one last thing she needed to buy. (Smart woman!!)

She said she would only be a few minutes; he could sit down in her car and
wait for her; she would be as quick as she could be.

She hurried into the mall, and told a security guard! what had happened, the
guard came out to her car with her, but the man had left.  They opened the
trunk, took out his locked briefcase and took it down to the police station.

The police opened it (ostensibly to look for ID so they could return it to
the man).  What they found was rope, duct tape, and knives.  When the police
checked her "flat" tire, there was nothing wrong with it; the air had simply
been let out.  It was obvious what the man's intention was, and obvious that
he had carefully thought it out in advance.  The woman was blessed to have
escaped harm.

How much worse it would have been if she had children with her and had them
wait in the car while the man fixed the tire, or if she had a baby strapped
into a car seat?  Or if she'd gone against her judgment and given him a
lift?

I'd like you to forward this to all those you know that may need to be
reminded that the world we live in has a lot of deviants in it. It may save
a life.   Better to be safe than sorry.

A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle.

If you love your mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, etc., you may want to
pass it on to them, as well.

Mr. Leonard Maina Mugambi

+254 720 248 873