[kictanet] NEWS RELEASE: Internet Society Hosts Seminar for Policymakers on Internet Standards Framework

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 08:49:14 EAT 2012

Listers, FYI

Internet Society Hosts Seminar for Policymakers on Internet Standards Framework

Event held in conjunction with the XXI Meeting of the Inter-American
Telecommunication Commission highlighted importance of open Internet standards

[San Salvador, El Salvador, 11 September 2012] — The Internet Society,
in collaboration with the Inter-American Telecommunication
Commission’s (CITEL) Permanent Consultative Committee I, hosted a
seminar yesterday for more than 70 policymakers and industry
representatives to discuss the Internet Standards Framework.  The
event was held in conjunction with the XXI Meeting of CITEL, an
advisory body of the Organization of American States that focuses on
promoting the development of telecommunications and ICT in the
Americas.

The seminar provided the opportunity to acquaint high-level
policymakers and key regional stakeholders with the global Internet
standards framework, the broad range of standards organizations, how
standards contribute to global interoperability, and the importance of
collaboration amongst standards bodies.

Speakers at the seminar included Adrian Farrel, IETF; Steve Mills,
IEEE; Jeff Jaffe, W3C; Simao Campos, ITU; and Sebastian Bellagamba,
Internet Society.  The afternoon panel presented perspectives from
across the industry with speakers, including Wayne Zeuch, CITEL; Pablo
Brenner, Globant; Andres Piazza, LACNIC; Patrick Ryan, Google; and
Jose Ayala, Ericsson.

"We appreciate the opportunity to participate in the Internet
Standards Framework seminar and share the power of open standards with
the Latin American community," said Steve Mills, IEEE Standards
Association President. "Access to knowledge is vital to sustaining the
social and economic growth of the region, and the open Internet is a
critical component of the knowledge infrastructure.  As an
organization that fully supports the principles of OpenStand
(open-stand.org), which convey the power of collaboration and
cooperation and support innovation and interoperability, we are
committed to delivering standards that are open and accessible
trusting that voluntary adoption through an open market will
contribute the best possible value to humanity."

“We were extremely proud to work together with CITEL on this important
event to engage with policymakers and industry leaders from across the
Americas,” said Sebastian Bellagamba, Internet Society Regional Bureau
Director, Latin America and the Caribbean. “The event was highly
successful in providing a productive discussion and opening the doors
for future collaboration.”

--
Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277