[kictanet] Digital TV migration postponement

Areba Collins [ @BrainiacKE ® ] arebacollins at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 21:12:26 EAT 2012

My view (this is I , not .... ) is that it all amounts to greed. Granted,
each of the one million and one Radio and TV stations would want and have a
license to be a signal distributor first, not content provider. Which does
not make sense at all, Everyone seems to be angling for the "iced" end of
the cake and in so doing, crippling the main objective of the whole
process. Take GOK for example, on one hand dancing with multichoice as
partners in GoTV, and on the other trying to roll out this "free" thing,
where would more effort be put? your guess as good as mine.

This could just be me, But it seems fairly straight forward to me, For this
thing to succeed, you need a backbone, ONE backbone delivering service to
all the potential clients, and maintaining a standard, and not confusing
everyone with standards and platform. Then The rest would compete on the
content side, Someone explain to me like a baby, Why again do we need more
than one signal distributor?

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:56 PM, <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:

> Washington,
> The signal converter is actually available and you use the USB port.  Just
> gave the sample to the regulator.
>

> Ndemo.
>

> > For once, I feel like a layman, not a qualified IT pro.
> >
> > I just didn't understand what Dr. Ndemo said in this post.
> >
> > Suddenly, there is talk of this DVB-T2 signal converter when all along
> the
> > talk was about STBs.
> >
> > My TV has a USB slot, but it's a special port for the manufacturer's
> > engineers to do their thing, not me to connect anything.
> >

> > On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM, <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:
> >
> >> Robert,
> >> The cost of a set top box with conditional access functionality ranges
> >> from Ksh. 3,500 to Ksh. 10,000.  However, the cost of DVBT2 signal
> >> converter (the equivalent of Free to Air TV) ranges from $5 to $20.  The
> >> problem is that the importers are only interested in set top boxes (the
> >> mercedes of TV) and not just the converters.  The cost for Black and
> >> White
> >> however may be higher since the old TV sets have no USB slots.
> >>
> >> We should not be complaining on this matter.  In the UK you almost need
> >> consultant to buy a TV set.  There are different formats of broadcast
> >> ranging from Simple Definition (our regular TV), High Definition
> >> (beggining to crip into our living rooms) with better picture quality
> >> and
> >> makes images look less fat and 3D TV which is undergoing through
> >> research
> >> to make it viewable without additional gadgets like special glasses.  So
> >> before you but a TV set, you need to state your objectives.
> >>
> >> The DVBT2 signal today covers 70% of the population.  We can have
> >> everybody switch tomorrow if we had better local content available.  THE
> >> PROBLEM IS NOT THE SET TOP BOXES.  The problem is with Kenyans.  It is
> >> ironcal to see many unemployed youth yet we cannot use them to create
> >> content around us.  Do we want the rest of the world to start producing
> >> our own content?
> >>

> >> Ndemo.

> >> lie
> >> of

> >> for
> >> average
> >> decoder

> >> average

> >> as

> https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/bitange%40jambo.co.ke

> >> platform
> >> ICT

> >> bandwidth,
> >> do

> https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/odhiambo%40gmail.com
> >>
> >> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
> >> for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
> >> regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
> [...]

*“The twentieth century has been characterized by three developments of
great political importance: the growth of democracy, the growth of
corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of
protecting corporate power against democracy”*