[kictanet] Knowledge economy! Can we hack it?

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 08:47:36 EAT 2012

Hi,

I had the opportunity to listen to a panel discussion at the ongoing AITEC expo at the Oshwal Center about smart cities but this sounded very hollow especially after reading the following articles about the state of our education.

1. http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Varsities+churning+out+half+baked+graduates+/-/1056/1593686/-/vi8k7t/-/index.html

2. http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Graduates+lose+out+as+employers+opt+for+lower+qualifications/-/1056/1531956/-/13wgq2vz/-/index.html

3.  http://www.nation.co.ke/News/politics/Councillors+graduate+ahead+of+polls/-/1064/1510418/-/g6dbtb/-/index.html

The third one is the most critical as this refers to those who shall be the county representatives come the new dispensation, as you and I will definitely not be standing for any elective posts as we find them too below our station in life, how will they be able to appreciate technology and who shall advice them if the Universities are churning out unbaked (half cooked ugali is not ugali) graduates.

Rome was not built in a day and Kenya will not become a knowledge economy because we have set aside land for a technology city.

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200