[kictanet] Who Controls the Internet?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 15:21:46 EAT 2012

Listers,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 1:29 AM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> When I was in school, yes I did go to school, there was an unwritten rule
> "finders keepers losers weepers", we seem to be applying all this rules in
> trying to wrestle away the Internet from its real owners the USA

There are no "real owners" of the Internet.   it's a de-centralised
network of networks,
all communicating using TCP/IP.

, the ITU
> meeting shall be the battle ground and bloody it will be worse than Muoroto
> or Syokimau evictions.

Hardly, it's a 10 day conference, which is a very short window in
which to come to agreements.

In addition, it's a treaty conference in which nation states can
"opt-out" of provisions they don't agree with.

> If Google, Facebook, Amazon, eBay, LinkedIn, Yahoo and their elk (note all
> are US based companies) decided to block all IP addresses beginning with
> "41" will we still be able to say that we have Internet access?

yes, but the likelihood of this happening is near as zero as it can possibly be.

> From Waudo's post it is clear where we fall, as the so called developing
> countries, at the periphery of the battle field literally outside the
> stadium hanging from a shaky tree branch.  The so called "tech giants" will
> arrive fully armed, the Chinese will bring their numbers and the Russians
> their nuclear, gas and diamond might, how will we arrive?

It's a one-nation one vote kind of thing, so the KE vote is equal to
the US vote.

--
Cheers,

McTim