[kictanet] Online Imposters

Alex Comninos alex.comninos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 13:52:46 EAT 2012

Impersonation is not illegal in certain contexts both online and
offline. For example one can impersonate someone for art like in a
play or for parody and satire. Additionally one can also (badly)
impersonate someone at a dress up party for instance. Whether the
impersonation actually leads people to believe that the person is
really the object of impersonation would of course have a bearing on
the law. Thus certain types of online impersonation - for obvious
parody for example should not be illegal online.

Impersonation for parody or political commentary is an age old and
legal tradition. However in many instances politicians do not take
kindly to it. Impersonation under certain circumstances online should
also be protected.

We must take care that policing online impersonation does not have
adverse side effects such on freedom of speech, and lead to a policing
of parody.

The case of India could be an important case to look at
http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/internet/article3821584.ece

Alex Comninos