[kictanet] Online Imposters

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 01:39:25 EAT 2012

Good morning Listers
Yesterday we had a stimulating debate on prosecuting hate speech online. Ali Hussein pointed out that what is wrong offline is also wrong online and gave the example of impersonation.
Today, we want to focus our attention on online imposters.
We have had
cases of imposters creating facebook and twitter accounts of known
personalities for example of the former government spokesperson Alfred Mutua,
Comedian Churchill aka Mwalimu King’gang’ and several politicians. The police
have also been impersonated on twitter.
In such a case, where
is the place of ethics and personal values especially when impersonating other
people online? Is there a provision of personal values in our constitution or
in any or our legislation that can provide guidance on how to handle online imposters? How should such matters be dealt with?
Lets hear it from you. This is the second last day to contribute as we will be winding up this debate tomorrow.
Have a wonderful day.RgdsGrace