[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Prosecution of online hate speech

Alex Comninos alex.comninos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 14:59:08 EAT 2012

@Barrack
I would propose that as a law enforcer in a functioning democracy with
respect for human rights, even when enforcing the law against hate
speech, I would not be above the law. Especially the supreme law of
the land (the constitution). I would have a very tough task of
balancing the provisions in the constitution against hate speech with
the right to privacy enshrined in article 31 of the constitution which
includes the right for people not to have their person, home or
property searched; their possessions seized; information relating to
their family or private affairs unnecessarily required or revealed; or
the privacy of their communications infringed.

As a law enforcer, beholden to the constitution, I may even have to
investigate cybercafes or other law enforcement agencies for breaching
the right to privacy installing keyloggers.

Barrack if you were a law enforcer, what would you do?