[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Prosecution of online hate speech

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Oct 17 14:16:31 EAT 2012

It seems we are entering the age of hyper-surveillance and monitoring.
Personal freedom and space should be protected as we try to find a
balance between prosecuting hate speech offenders and monitor peoples
day to day lives. When NCIS says it will work with cyber cafes to curb
vices, all I see is key-loggers installed in those workstations to
track what patrons are doing. I acknowledge that the safety of the
nation is important, but I fear what other uses such private
information may have, especially if it falls in the wrong hands!

On 17/10/2012, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ali, Barrack and Jaco. The message is clear: the education system as
> well as intermediaries have a role in educating users of their
> responsibility
> online.
>

> Listers, please feel free to
> continue the debate under the thread of Hate
> text messages/KICA Section 29.
>

> Today, we focus our attention to prosecution
> of online hate speech. The NCIC has threatened to prosecute online hate
> speech as political campaigns intensify ahead of the 2013 March general
> elections.  The Chair of NCIS was quoted in
> yesterday’s Daily Nation as saying that his Commission is working with
> cyber
> cafes to monitor hate speech.
>

> There seems to be uncertainty on what offences may happen on
> communication networks and whether intermediaries would be liable or not.
> Such
> intermediaries as Safaricom have come up with rules that will be applied
> for
> political advertising on its network; while Nation Media has NMG blog rules
> (see
> http://www.nation.co.ke/meta/-/1194/1132038/-/88lbspz/-/index.html).  NMG is
> cautious in particular after being sued
> for comments made by a reader on its blog on a story about Uhuru Kenyatta.
>

> Is it advisable for these intermediaries to take caution or encourage
> self regulation or what should they do?
> How successful do you think the NCIC will be in prosecuting online hate
> speech?
>

> Over to you Listers.RgdsGG
>

> Subject: RE: [kictanet] Hate text messages/KICA Section 29
> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:20:46 +0200
> From: j.dutoit at unesco.org
> To: ggithaiga at hotmail.com
> CC: kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke; isoc at orion.my.co.ke
>
> Dear Grace, The education system definitely has a role to play in media and
> information literacy, but I would argue that it is also in the interest of
> the intermediaries to get involved in such education initiatives. Best
> regardsJaco -------------------------------------------------Jaco DU
> TOITAdviser for Communication & InformationUNESCO Regional Office for
> Eastern AfricaUnited Nations Avenue, UNON, Gigiri (Room C-104) P.O. Box
> 30592-00100, Nairobi, Kenya Tel: +254 (0)20 762 2346/2566 Fax +254 (0)20 762
> 2750 Mobile: +254 (0)728 610 912 Email:j.dutoit at unesco.org,

Mwendwa Kivuva
For
Business Development
Transworld Computer Channels
Cel: 0722402248
twitter.com/lordmwesh
transworldAfrica.com | Fluent in computing
kenya.or.ke | The Kenya we know