[kictanet] 3. Making Sense of our development (Gideon)

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Sat Oct 13 18:51:18 EAT 2012

Very good discussions on this topic.

1. No country has developed where the NGO sector (the true lords of poverty) dominate! Most NGO execs are always focused on their next fundraiser, the driving cause, their jobs, and (often) international travel.

2. The Hyacinth problem in Lake Victoria needs a comprehensive solution than just harvesting. Fertilizer use in the catchment area, coupled with poor forest cover allowing for excessive surface runoff, dense population without the equivalent of sewage disposal (Kisii for instance is a giant municipality - just check how densely populated), etc may need to be considered.

3. As for our education system it needs radical reform if ever it is intended to realize the nation's aspirations (which ones are they by the way?). We are certificate driven and do anything to get that piece of paper as if this is a substitute for knowledge and skill. Thus students cheat consistently to get the paper. Even those that pass rightfully, many do so via rote learning, which perhaps evaporates as soon as examinations are over! And our universities, some with classes atop bars, dance halls and brothels! ... something BIG is missing in addition that our school system has failed to help shape what the country should be and values thereof; thus we have tribes this and tribes that ...

Baadaye
Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Be prepared for ICT security failures & know how to respond when they happen!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 or info at aganoconsulting.com
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.