[kictanet] Fw: [Itu2012chapters] ETNO Twitter Storm with Hamadoun Toure on October 10

otieno.barrack at gmail.com otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 11:14:48 EAT 2012

Sent from my BlackBerry®

-----Original Message-----
From: "peter at hellmonds.net" <peter at hellmonds.net>
Sender: itu2012chapters-bounces at elists.isoc.org
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 09:59:15
To: Sally Wentworth<wentworth at isoc.org>
Cc: itu2012chapters at elists.isoc.org<itu2012chapters at elists.isoc.org>
Subject: Re: [Itu2012chapters] ETNO Twitter Storm with Hamadoun Toure on
	October 10

Hi Sally,

You could be right in your assessment that some of the pieces of the ETNO proposal could survive. I find troublesome only this section from the African Union meeting:

"Regulatory measures may be imposed in case that this cannot be achieved through commercial arrangements and to the extent that such measures do not hinder competition."

However, this is merely stating the obvious, i.e. that regulators may impose regulations. Let us recall the key points of the ETNO proposal and see how they fare:

a) Sending Party Network Pays:
* No chance for survival

b) Prevent national governments from mandating network neutrality
* governments will not accede to an international treaty limiting their choices in this respect

c) allow commercial agreements on QoS based charging
* no need to put this into an international treaty as the right to conclude commercial agreements already exists and nothing in the existing ITRs prevents anyone from doing so today

d) help telco operators with their broadband investment issues
* this issue needs to be addresses to national and regional regulators and does not need to be in an international treaty.

Did I miss anything? Do I misinterpret the situation?

Best regards,

Peter H. Hellmonds
Public & International Affairs
Phone: +49 (160) 360-2852