[kictanet] KeBS to re-emburse fake phone owners

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 15:09:49 EAT 2012

KEBS is not  just looking the other way. From my own personal interaction
with them, they are simply dysfunctional or maybe they don't have clear
guidelines on what their operations should be like. However, we cannot
entirely blame them for the proliferation of substandard merchandise into
this country. Several agencies are involved and fat cats can easily
circumvent (if not arm-twist) KEBS. We all know this.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Nyagitari Bosire <nyagitari at gmail.com>wrote:

> The switching off of the fake phones is enough indictment of the inability
> or lack of willingness in executing their mandate. Question though should
> be, in how many other areas is KeBS looking the other way?
>
> Nyaggs
> On Oct 2, 2012 11:56 AM, "robert yawe" <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We all wish the headline in tomorrows paper would be "KeBS to refund fake
>> owners" as to the best of my knowledge they are mandated and funded by the
>> tax payer to make sure that the items that come into the country meet
>> certain required usage and safety standards.
>>
>> Evert time I import IT items I am charged a fee for KeBS certification
>> what do they do with the money collected if millions of fake (no IMEI
>> numbers) mobile phones, many of which where shipped in container loads,
>> passed right under their nooses.
>>
>> As with most issues we have a tendency of barking up the wrong tree,
>> suing CCK is dealing with a symptom instead of dealing with the core
>> problem which is a standards body that does no work, its time we
>> re-outsourced the function.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Robert Yawe
>> KAY System Technologies Ltd