[kictanet] Syria shuts down Internet? How can we stop this from happening again?

Warigia Bowman warigia at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:15:30 EAT 2012

Probably never if we want a democracy. But Others may have other views. I
know that there was a spread of hate speech on twitter and cell phones in
Kenya in 2007/2008.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:

> Thanks Wariga for sharing.
>
> The events in Syria will make WCIT-12 even more interesting. At what point
> does internal security concerns trump the free flow of information?
>
> Ali Hussein
> CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
> Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd
>
> +254 773/713 601113
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Nov 30, 2012, at 5:54 AM, Warigia Bowman <warigia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Kictanet List,
>
> Please see the work by Jean Camp and Warigia Bowman on how to "Protect the
> Internet from Dictators: Technical and Policy Solutions to Ensure Online
> Freedoms. This paper is particularly timely given today's events, since
> Syria is one of the countries we analyze. Can you please help us to figure
> out what technology we missed, or in what areas our analysis could be
> improved? Many thanks.
> *
> You can find and download our work here*
>
> *http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2101677*
> *
> Here is the permalink *
>
> *http://ssrn.com/abstract=2101677

> *
> Please see ISOC's statement below.
>

> http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-syria%E2%80%99s-internet-shutdown
>
> Sincerely, Rigia

Dr. Warigia Bowman
Assistant Professor
Clinton School of Public Service
University of Arkansas
wbowman at clintonschool.uasys.edu
http://democratizingegypt.blogspot.com
View my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1479660