[kictanet] Kenya's Software Development initiatives feature in key UN report

Alwala, Rachel Alwala at cck.go.ke
Fri Nov 30 13:20:28 EAT 2012

Listers,

I happened to attend the launch of the UNCTAD  - Information Economy Report 2012 , subtitled The Software Industry and Developing Countries, on 28th November in London. The report urges governments to adopt policies that can help build domestic software capabilities. I was proud to see Kenya cited in the report as one of  the countries that have demonstrated high potential in this sector and I think we should laud Dr. Ndemo's 'evangelism' in this area and indeed many others.  There are a number of examples that we can learn from in oder to leverage our capabilities as a nation in this multi-billion industry.   Sri Lanka  is a case in point, alongside other countries that are way ahead.  We need to think of catalysts  that are suitable to our local situation including a critical mass of skills, increase in broadband access  to boost local demand and also create a flexible environment that will encourage more developers.  The incubators are doing a great job in nurturing the developers but we also need to go further and create industries through provision of capital, etc.  All the same, you may want to access the report and get some the insights from the link - http://unctad.org/en/pages/PublicationWebflyer.aspx?publicationid=271

Enjoy the reading.

Regards,

Rachel Alwala