[kictanet] [PK] Kshs 8.5 billion on just CCTV cameras within Nairobi?

Muchiri Nyaggah muchiri at semacraft.com
Fri Nov 30 10:10:21 EAT 2012

Evans,

Proprietary systems can claim R&D investment on things like these. My point
is not on efficacy of platforms but the cost passed on to customers.
Proprietary system vendors will use their claims to justify high prices and
that's why I don't thing its surprising a price tag of 8.5b has been
slapped on this project. Regardless of whether it runs on Windows or Linux,
would you expect a western vendor selling 'military grade' surveillance
infrastructure to provide it at what we would collectively describe as an
affordable price?

Kind regards,

Muchiri Nyaggah | LEAD FELLOW, CODE4KENYA
@muchiri
Cell: +254 722 506400
Skype: mrmuchiri
WWW.CODE4KENYA.ORG