[kictanet] [PK] Kshs 8.5 billion on just CCTV cameras within Nairobi?

Areba Collins [ @BrainiacKE ® ] arebacollins at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 10:28:25 EAT 2012

Listers sorry for cross posting:

Dear Omtata, Ill begin with a statement I read somewhere:
"An elephant is a rat built to government specifications".

That Said & Done, the person answerable to us on this matter must, and has
to be the PS , Daktari Ndemo. The assumption has to be that Due diligence
was followed (or should have been followed) and procurement of these
gadgets involved the necessary ministries for technology oversight. That
said, I doubt that the procured equipment was of the order that you find on
Kimathi street or other local suppliers. As interested parties in the
security of the nation, I would assume that only military grade equipment
would do, where various organs, NSIS, KDOD & other uniforms would put in
requirements for this that would then be added up to determine the scope.

Considering our military is a highly secretive one, and that procurements
come to be heard of years later, and factoring in the fact that while
latest trends show that our learnings have been to the east when procuring
hardware, we still maintain a "joined in the hip" relationship with some
western leaning nations such as Israel. It would therefore not be
inimaginable that some obscure "additions" might have been added onto the
mix to do more specific tasks than just "seeing". In which case then
securing these 51 installations, getting the relevant persons trained to
the right skill set and running interferance would easily hit that mark.

but who knows, maybe we have an unmanned predator hovering over the city
doing all this.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Okiya Omtatah Okoiti <omtatah at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Is there anybody familiar with this issue of CCTV cameras within cities?
> It is reported the we will be spending Kshs 8.5 billion on CCTV cameras
> within Nairobi, in just 51 locations!?... One expert told me this:
> "One high tech camera costs about kshs. 60,000. If you multiply this with
> 51, you get kshs. 3.06m. Assuming each will be controlled by a Mac
> computer, kshs.250k by 51 you get kshs.12.7m. If you add even 100m for
> installation and other expenses. There is no way it could amount to
> kshs.8.5 billion!!!"
>
> On the procurement of public goods and services,  the Constitution
> declares in Article 227(1) that: "When a State organ or any other public
> entity contracts for goods or
> services, it shall do so in accordance with a system that is fair, equitable,
> transparent, competitive and cost-effective."
>
> Regards,
>
> Omtatah
>
>   --
>
> *************************************************************************************************
> Geniuses Training and Business Services
> Certificate and Diploma in Teaching, Training, Business Management &
> Entepreneurship, Legal Studies, Social Media & Marketing, Project
> Management, Multimedia Development, English and Literature Studies,
> Children Studies, Psychology, ICT Foundation Course
> Call 0705297307 or 0786695083 or Email to: info at geniusesltd.com

*“The twentieth century has been characterized by three developments of
great political importance: the growth of democracy, the growth of
corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of
protecting corporate power against democracy”*