[kictanet] ICT and Nyayo House

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Wed Nov 21 12:26:30 EAT 2012

>From a friend. E-something in government, hey? :)

I just went to Nyayo House to renew my Kenyan passport as is my RIGHT AS A
KENYAN CITIZEN.
I called up and spoke to them, having been through this several times
before and was told to print off the form from the website, fill it out and
get your recommender to sign - check, get 3 passport photos signed on the
back by 'a person of official capacity' - check, copy of ID - check, copy
of PIN - check, copy of old passport as well as actual document - check.
Stand in the queue for 25 mins, get to counter, lady gives me the once
over, looks at the form and declares that it is obsolete and starts
chatting on her phone.
 I must go to a tent outside and fill out a new one and come back - I ask
how I will have the new form signed by a recommender and am told to talk to
the people in the tent.

Apparently you can ask someone near the tent, whom you have never seen
before to assist you and state that he knows you and is a good mate and
that you aren't a terrorist from another country... Right outside the
immigration offices.

I just can't do this and will go back tomorrow with the correct form filled
by someone who DOES actually know me.

More fool me I guess.

However if you are a Kenyan applying for renewal or a new passport, the PP1
form on the website is 'apparently' obsolete. You now have to use the Form
19 which can be collected from the tent outside Nyayo house... Good luck.