[kictanet] ICT Board: Monthly Newsletter | November 2012

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 20:04:30 EAT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kenya ICT Board <htomno at ict.go.ke>
Date: Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Subject: Chanuka: Monthly Newsletter | November 2012
To: office at ict.go.ke

      I would like to especially draw listers to:

      1) SAP Scholarships which graduates can now apply for. Deadline is
      6th Dec.

      2) Accreditation for software developers: Volunteers can take the
      test for free on 18th Dec. They would need to register online.

      3). Call for IST conference papers: The conference takes places in
      15th-17th May 2013 for the first time in Nairobi. Deadline for
      submissions of presentation paper is on 7th Dec.

                                             Chanuka:
                                                November 2012

                                              Kenya ICT Board Newsletter
                                            Issue No:006

                                                        In This Issue (click to read article)

                                                        >National
                                                          ICT Masterplan
                                                          to be Launched

                                                          SAP Skills For
                                                          Africa

                                                        >CHIPUKA
                                                          - Get World
                                                          Renowned
                                                          Accreditation

                                                          Call for
                                                          Papers for
                                                          IST-Africa
                                                          2013

                                                        >Open
                                                          Data:
                                                          Princeton
                                                          University
                                                          gives its
                                                          perspective

                                                        >Study
                                                          pushes for
                                                          Tech jobs to
                                                          trickle down
                                                          to the poor

                                                          Addressing the
                                                          Challenges in
                                                          Digital
                                                          Villages

                                                          What it Takes
                                                          for Impactful
                                                          Blogging

                                                        >Road
                                                          Safety Made
                                                          Easier by
                                                          Technology

                                                          Follow us on twitter

                                                          @kenyaICTboard

                                                          Join us on facebook

                                                          www.facebook.com

                                                          Upcoming
                                                          Events

                                                          ------------

                                                          Kenya
                                                          Open Data
                                                          Sensitization

                                                       Date:
                                                          Wednesday,
                                                          21st November,
                                                          2012 Nairobi
                                                          Hilton Hotel.

                                                        ------------

                                                          National
                                                          ICT Masterplan
                                                          Launch
                                                          Date:
                                                          Thur. 29th
                                                          Nov. 2012
                                                          Venue:
                                                          Hotel
                                                          Intercontinental,
                                                          Nairobi Time:
                                                          7:30 a.m -
                                                          10:00 a.m
                                                          --------------

                                                          AITEC Southern Africa ICT Summit
                                                          Date:
                                                          Wed. 05 Dec.
                                                          2012 -Thur.
                                                          06 Dec. 2012. Venue:Joachim
                                                          Chissano
                                                          International
                                                          Conference
                                                          Center.

                                                          -------------

                                                          Chipuka Software Developer Certification Date: Wed.
                                                          19th Dec. 2012
                                                          Time:
                                                          08:00 a.m -
                                                          2.00 p.m
                                                          Venue:School
                                                          of Computing
                                                          &
                                                          Informatics,University
                                                          of Nairobi.
                                                           -----------

                                                          ------------
                                                          Are
                                                          you hosting an
                                                          ICT related
                                                          event? Contact
                                                          us at communications at ict.go.ke

                                                          Quick
                                                          Links...

                                                          Our Website

                                                          Contact Us

                                                          For more
                                                          information on
                                                          this
                                                          newsletter and
                                                          other
                                                          communications
                                                          products from
                                                          the Kenya ICT
                                                          Board contact:

                                                          Haji Tomno

                                                          e: htomno at ict.go.ke

                                                          t: +254 20
                                                          2089061

                                                          Kenya ICT
                                                          Board

                                                          Telposta
                                                          Towers, 12th
                                                          floor,
                                                          Kenyatta Ave

                                                          P.O. Box
                                                          27150-00100,
                                                          Nairobi, Kenya

                                                          'Chanuka'
                                                          is a product
                                                          from the Kenya
                                                          ICT Board
                                                          aimed at
                                                          keeping you
                                                          informed and
                                                          up-to-date on
                                                          the work of
                                                          the Kenya ICT
                                                          Board and the
                                                          ICT sector in
                                                          Kenya.

                                                          National
                                                          ICT Master
                                                          plan to be
                                                          Launched

                                                          Greetings! ,

                                                          The year 2012
                                                          is almost
                                                          coming to a
                                                          close. A lot
                                                          of great
                                                          things have
                                                          happened in
                                                          the ICT
                                                          Industry this
                                                          year and
                                                          growth will
                                                          continue to be
                                                          felt in the
                                                          sector.

                                                          To precipitate
                                                          the impact of
                                                          ICT on the
                                                          life of
                                                          Kenyans, we
                                                          are launching
                                                          the National
                                                          ICT Master
                                                          Plan 2017 on
                                                          29th November,
                                                          2012 at the
                                                          Intercontinental
                                                          Hotel. The
                                                          plan draws the
                                                          journey of
                                                          positioning
                                                          Kenya as a
                                                          leader in ICT
                                                          investment and
                                                          innovation by
                                                          the year 2017.

                                                          View the full
                                                          document here.

                                                          We look
                                                          forward to
                                                          hearing from
                                                          you.

                                                          Enjoy the rest
                                                          of the
                                                          newsletter.

                                                          Sincerely,

                                                          Paul Kukubo

                                                          CEO, Kenya ICT
                                                          Board

                                                          SAP Scholarships Now Up
                                                          for Grabs

                                                          Are you a
                                                          recent
                                                          graduate? Do
                                                          have a passion
                                                          for ICT in the
                                                          community? You
                                                          can work under
                                                          pressure, are
                                                          a critical
                                                          thinker and
                                                          sees yourself
                                                          as a
                                                          front-runner
                                                          in shaping
                                                          your world? If
                                                          your answer is
                                                          Yes, then
                                                          there is a
                                                          scholarship
                                                          waiting for
                                                          you and a
                                                          possible job.
                                                           SAP
                                                          is offering
                                                          scholarships
                                                          to 100
                                                          deserving
                                                          students. Deadline:
                                                          6th December

                                                          Read
                                                          More...

                                                          See
                                                          the terms and
                                                          eligibility
                                                          criteria here

                                                          Apply
                                                          here

                                                          Get
                                                          World class
                                                          programming
                                                          accreditation

                                                          If
                                                          you are a
                                                          software
                                                          developer,
                                                          seeking to be
                                                          identified as
                                                          top of your
                                                          game, you need
                                                          to take this
                                                          exam. Your
                                                          only
                                                          investment?
                                                          Time. On 19th
                                                          December,Carnegie Mellon University in conjunction with the Kenya ICT Board will be offering 50 developers a  Software Developer Certification (SDC)  at
                                                          University of
                                                          Nairobi,
                                                          School of
                                                          Computing and
                                                          Informatics,
                                                          Computer Lab,
                                                          Chiromo
                                                          Campus.
                                                          be considered
                                                          you will need
                                                          to fill out an
                                                          online
                                                          application
                                                          form on http://www.softwaredevelopercertification.com/the-sdc-program
                                                          .The exam will
                                                          take up to 6
                                                          hours.
                                                          Read More...

                                                          Call
                                                          for Papers for
                                                          IST-Africa
                                                          2013
                                                          Conference

                                                          IST-Africa
                                                          2013, a
                                                          science and
                                                          innovation
                                                          conference, is
                                                          calling for
                                                          papers from
                                                          the business,
                                                          academic and
                                                          ICT industry
                                                          to be
                                                          presented at
                                                          the event to
                                                          take place in
                                                          Nairobi, from
                                                          15-17th May,
                                                          2013.

                                                          For paper
                                                          submission,visit http://www.ist-africa.org/Conference2013/default.asp?page=submission

                                                          Interested
                                                          presenters are
                                                          encouraged to
                                                          prepare an 8
                                                          page paper
                                                          (4,000 - 5,000
                                                          words) using
                                                          the IST-Africa
                                                          2013 paper
                                                          guidelines and
                                                          paper template
                                                          provided on
                                                          the IST-Africa
                                                          Conference
                                                          Portal, for
                                                          submission
                                                          online by 07
                                                          December,
                                                          2012.

                                                          For more
                                                          information on
                                                          the
                                                          conference, download the event pdf

                                                          Open
                                                          Data:
                                                          Princeton
                                                          University
                                                          gives its
                                                          perspective

                                                          Getting
                                                          government
                                                          information
                                                          available to
                                                          the public
                                                          through the
                                                          Kenya Open
                                                          Data Portal
                                                          has not been
                                                          an easy one. A
                                                          new report
                                                          done by
                                                          Princeton
                                                          University,
                                                          shares Dr
                                                          Bitange Ndemos
                                                          efforts in
                                                          convincing
                                                          government to
                                                          release data
                                                          that would
                                                          help create
                                                          jobs and
                                                          impact
                                                          economic
                                                          growth.
                                                          The
                                                          insightful
                                                          document, done
                                                          through
                                                          Princeton, Innovations for Successful Societies (ISS),
                                                          looks at the
                                                          journey,
                                                          challenges,
                                                          impact the
                                                          team and
                                                          achievements
                                                          that the
                                                          Portal has
                                                          undergone
                                                          before and
                                                          after its
                                                          launch in July
                                                          2011.
                                                          This
                                                          is a story of
                                                          how sheer
                                                          determination,
                                                          hardwork and
                                                          passion for
                                                          the common
                                                          good can bring
                                                          meaningful
                                                          change to the
                                                          society.

                                                          Read More...

                                                          Study
                                                          pushes for
                                                          Tech jobs to
                                                          trickle down
                                                          to the poor

                                                          As technology
                                                          continues to
                                                          transform the
                                                          world economy,
                                                          it's important
                                                          that the gains
                                                          are enjoyed by
                                                          everyone. In
                                                          the labour
                                                          market, IT and
                                                          outsourcing
                                                          industry has
                                                          been prided
                                                          with creating
                                                          millions of
                                                          jobs, with
                                                          India
                                                          recording
                                                          record growth
                                                          (according to
                                                          NASSCOM's
                                                          Strategic
                                                          Review 2012,
                                                          India alone
                                                          has generated
                                                          employment for
                                                          2.8 million
                                                          people in the
                                                          IT and BPO
                                                          sectors, with
                                                          another 8.9
                                                          million jobs
                                                          indirectly
                                                          created as a
                                                          result.)
                                                          Traditionally
                                                          though, a lot
                                                          of the people
                                                          at the bottom
                                                          of the pyramid
                                                          are left out
                                                          from tapping
                                                          into the job
                                                          opportunities
                                                          in the sector.
                                                          The
                                                          Rockefeller
                                                          Foundation
                                                          developed the
                                                          impact
                                                          sourcing model
                                                          to foster a
                                                          business model
                                                          that is the
                                                          classic
                                                          win-win: it's
                                                          a good
                                                          business
                                                          practice and
                                                          it is socially
                                                          responsible.
                                                          Read More...

                                                          Addressing
                                                          the Challenges
                                                          in Digital
                                                          Villages

                                                          The Pasha
                                                          Entrepreneurs
                                                          workshop was
                                                          held on the
                                                          22nd and 23rd
                                                          of October
                                                          2012 at
                                                          AFRALTI
                                                          Waiyaki way
                                                          Nairobi. As
                                                          part of the
                                                          ongoing
                                                          support of the
                                                          Digital
                                                          Villages
                                                          (Pasha)
                                                          Project, the
                                                          Kenya ICT
                                                          Board invited
                                                          Pasha Managers
                                                          for a two day
                                                          workshop.
                                                          The
                                                          aim of the
                                                          workshop was
                                                          to expose
                                                          Pasha Managers
                                                          to successful
                                                          entrepreneurs
                                                          in Kenya. This
                                                          exposure was
                                                          aimed to
                                                          rejuvenate the
                                                          entrepreneurial
                                                          zeal of these
                                                          Pasha Managers
                                                          in the often
                                                          challenging
                                                          business
                                                          environment.Pasha
                                                          Managers face
                                                          the special
                                                          task of
                                                          balancing
                                                          achievement of
                                                          their personal
                                                          goals and the
                                                          Government's
                                                          agenda to
                                                          reduce the
                                                          digital divide
                                                          in rural
                                                          Kenya.
                                                          Read More...

                                                          What
                                                          it Takes for
                                                          Impactful
                                                          Blogging

                                                          This year's
                                                          annual Word
                                                          Camp Kenya
                                                          took place at
                                                          Maanzoni Lodge
                                                          where 128
                                                          bloggers,
                                                          local and
                                                          international
                                                          word Press
                                                          enthusiasts,
                                                          podcasters,
                                                          developers and
                                                          designers
                                                          converged for
                                                          a two day
                                                          seminar.

                                                           The event was
                                                          graced by a
                                                          line-up of
                                                          speakers who
                                                          spoke on many
                                                          topics but
                                                          focused on
                                                          responsible
                                                          blogging.

                                                          The theme for
                                                          this year was
                                                          responsible
                                                          blogging and
                                                          positive
                                                          social media
                                                          influence. One
                                                          of the main
                                                          speakers was
                                                          C.E.O of Kenya
                                                          ICT Board Mr.
                                                          Paul Kukubo
                                                          who reminded
                                                          bloggers to be
                                                          responsible.
                                                          Read
                                                          More...

                                                          Road
                                                          Safety Made
                                                          Easier by
                                                          Technology

                                                          Roads
                                                          safety is one
                                                          of the issues
                                                          that Kenyans
                                                          are grappling
                                                          with. Despite
                                                          the transport
                                                          sector being a
                                                          key driver of
                                                          the economy,
                                                          forecasts are
                                                          that road
                                                          crashes might
                                                          overtake
                                                          Malaria and
                                                          Aids deaths by
                                                          2015, and that
                                                          Nairobi loses
                                                          around Kshs 50
                                                          million a day
                                                          on traffic
                                                          jams.A lot is
                                                          attributed to
                                                          inadequate
                                                          co-ordination
                                                          and poor
                                                          service
                                                          delivery in
                                                          the sector
                                                          with multiple
                                                          agencies
                                                          seated in
                                                          different
                                                          ministries
                                                          unable to
                                                          share data.

                                                          A remedy to
                                                          these is seen
                                                          as that which
                                                          will bring
                                                          together all
                                                          entities in
                                                          the sector
                                                          under one
                                                          umbrella.
                                                          Referred to as
                                                          Transport
                                                          Integrated
                                                          Management
                                                          System (TIMS),
                                                          the project
                                                          was envisioned
                                                          in 2008 by a
                                                          multi-stakeholder
                                                          group, led by
                                                          the Ministry
                                                          of Transport,
                                                          and the
                                                          Ministry of
                                                          Information
                                                          and
                                                          Communications.
                                                          Read
                                                          More...

                                                          Thank
                                                          you for your
                                                          support

                                                          The Kenya ICT
                                                          Board depends
                                                          on its
                                                          stakeholders,
                                                          partners and
                                                          the Kenyan
                                                          public to
                                                          deliver on its
                                                          mandate. We
                                                          welcome
                                                          feedback and
                                                          comments on
                                                          our service
                                                          and projects.
                                                          Please email communications at ict.go.ke

                        Forward email

                                  This email was sent to office at ict.go.ke
                                    by htomno at ict.go.ke

                                    Update
                                        Profile/Email Address |
                                      Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™

                                      Privacy Policy.

                          Kenya ICT Board | Telposta
                              Towers, 12th Floor | Kenyatta
                              Ave | P.o.
                              box 27150-00100

      --

      Phyllis Nyambura

      Communication Writer

      Kenya ICT Board

      Telposta Towers, 12th Floor, Kenyatta Ave

      P.O. Box 27150 - 00100 Nairobi, Kenya

      t: + 254-020-2211960/62 | m: + 254 (0) 789396433 | e: pnyambura at ict.go.ke

      Visit: www.ict.go.ke

      Become a fan: www.facebook.com/kenyaictboard

      Follow us on twitter: @kenyaICTboard

      ---------------------

      Our Vision: Kenya becomes a top 10 ICT hub

        Our Mission: To champion and actively enable Kenya to adopt
      and exploit ICT, through promotion of partnerships, investments
      and infrastructure growth for socio economic enrichment

        Our Quality Policy: Kenya ICT Board is committed to
      consistently deliver quality ICT services and manage projects that
      support the growth of Information and Communication Technology, to
      satisfy the needs and expectations of customers.

      Kenya ICT Board shall comply with all requirements and continually
      improve the effectiveness of the Quality Management System. Kenya
      ICT Board leadership shall establish and review quality objectives
      in line with this policy and ensure commitment of all employees.