[kictanet] Internet capacity to double soon after fifth fibre optic cable lands

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Tue Nov 20 18:28:11 EAT 2012

Grace,
Yes there are four different Transnational Operators wanting to be in
Mombasa.  It could be related to the interest in building mega data
centers here.  These are possibly trying to entice content aggregators to
have their point of presence here.  There will be some positive to this
considering the fact that we get the opportunity to develop capacity
(improveed real employment opportunities), significantly develop our
energy sector and possibly drastically reduce cost of connectivity.

My frustration has been how we get our people to begin working on local
content.  We do not need clouds for content like Sesemi Street when we can
create local edutainment from local resources.  Remember the local content
you develop here is good for any African Country.  If we automated our
Government Records, we shall have the chance to replicate the processes in
50 other countries. We shall get to my bet subject of intra Africa Trade.
Check this blog and know where the future lies:
http://blogs.worldbank.org/africacan/africas-mics

After my trip to IGF in Baku, I passed through London at the invitation of
the John D. and Catherine T. MacAthur Foundation to join a
multidisciplinary Research Network of thinkers and doers on "Opening
Government" to analyze and realize the potential impact of technology on
democratic institutions, specifically how we can use technology to create
more collaborative ways of governing to solve the World's hardest
problems.

There were about 40 Professors meeting at 10 Downing Street.  They were
mostly from MIT, Stanford, Duke, Havard, Cambridge, Oxford, Southampton
etc.  Most of the MIT and Stanford have research here or planning to be in
Nairobi for collaboration.  At least three quarters of them said something
about Kenya emergence and hoped we can sustain the innovative capacity.

I realized that we must couple the youth in application development with
Universities where research is done.  Most of our Universities have become
teaching institutions that must now move to research.  The realtime data
most developers have been wanting must be data from research activities
and some from institutions.

For example, any hospital must have its capacity data out there.  We need
to know where the Neuro Surgeons, Cardiologists, Oncologists etc, what
equipment is available, capability of the labs etc.  This is all knowledge
such that if I have a heart attack patient I know where to get help
instead of trial and error and as you know Kenyans do not volunteer to say
they have no capacity.  This is what a knowledge society looks like.

One of the Professors presented life data from a mobile phone gathering
data in a Central American country.  Simple analytic on the data shows
that teachers go to their respective schools for less than two days a
week. These are some of the worst performing schools.  There was a high
correlation of poor performance and affliation to Unions.  Does this
resonate with Kenya?

Change is in our hands but we must begin to exercise our responsibility to
change our country for the better.

Ndemo.