[kictanet] Support for CS to engage with WCIT and ITRs

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Mon Nov 12 18:43:09 EAT 2012

Dear Civil Society colleagues,

Those following/engaging with WIT and ITR related issues please see
below a  call for proposals for ITU-related micro-grants by Mozilla  to
engage and participate at the upcoming WCIT in December 2012.

best

Alice
------------------------

*_Open Internet Microgrants to Support Civil Society Engagement with the
ITU_*

On December 3rd, the world's governments will begin a ten-day meeting in
Dubai to update a key treaty of a UN agency called the International
Telecommunication Union (ITU). Some proposed changes to that treaty
could threaten Internet openness and innovation, increase access costs,
and erode human rights online. We are urgently calling for projects that
will help give civil society organizations that support an open Internet
a stronger voice before and during that key meeting, the World
Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT).

*What We Want to Support*

  * Efforts to engage with your government in the lead up to the WCIT
    meeting.
  * Costs for civil society representatives to participate at WCIT in
    Dubai, provided you are already a part of your country's delegation
    or have otherwise demonstrated commitment and expertise in this area.
  * Provision of basic technical infrastructure and tools that let civil
    society representatives on the ground in Dubai coordinate and
    communicate with each other, their home organizations, and the media.

*The Details*

  * The call for proposal opens up on Nov. 12 and closes at 12 AM GMT
    Nov. 15 (i.e., midnight the night of the 14th).
  * This is a micro grant fund. There is a total of $10,000 available.
    Ideally, we will be supporting 8-10 projects from that amount. That
    means your grant will be approximately $1,000.
  * You need to be able to receive a wire transfer to a bank account. It
    can be your personal bank account. Individuals can apply.
  * We will contact you if we have any questions or to award you the
    grant. If you have not heard from us by November 16, we will have
    chosen not to provide support to your project.
  * Once a decision has been made, you will receive a letter from us
    summarizing the project you've proposed and agreeing to provide you
    the funds.
  * When the project is done, you will need to provide us a letter
    telling us what happened, how it went, and what you think you
    accomplished.

*The Criteria*
We will give preference to proposals that:

  * Ideally, show 1:1 matching support
  * Demonstrate your capacity to effect positive change
  * Facilitate regionally diverse participation in the WCIT
  * Can be implemented quickly

*What We Need to Know*
Send an e-mail to apply at mozillafoundation.org with the following
information. If you are applying for travel support, be sure to tell us
whether or not you are already included in your country's delegation.

  * Name:
  * E-mail:
  * Organization (if applicable):
  * Country: