[kictanet] Net Neutrality - A Perspective as a Precursor to tomorrow's WCIT Discussions

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Nov 12 14:36:59 EAT 2012

Listers

As a followup to my posting on *Africa (and Kenya's?) Position to WCIT,
Dubai,  *I thought I would pen some thoughts on Net Neutrality as a way to
get our minds thinking ahead of tomorrow morning's Stakeholders Meeting on
WCIT-12 at the Grand Regency.

According to Wikipedia:-

*Network neutrality* (also *net neutrality*, *Internet neutrality*) is a
principle <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle> that advocates
government regulation of Internet service
providers<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_service_provider>
,[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality#cite_note-Information_Week-1>
preventing
ISPs from restricting consumers' access to networks that participate in the
Internet <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet>. Specifically, network
neutrality would prevent restrictions on content, sites, platforms, types
of equipment that may be attached, and modes of communication. Network
owners can't interfere with content, applications, services, and devices of
users' choice and remains open to all users and uses.

Since the early 2000s, advocates of net neutrality and associated rules
have raised concerns about the ability of broadband providers to use their last
mile <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_mile> infrastructure to block
Internet applications and content (e.g. websites, services, and protocols),
and even block out competitors. (The term "net neutrality" didn't come into
popular use until several years later, however.) The possibility of
regulations designed to mandate the neutrality of the Internet has been
subject to fierce debate, especially in the United States.

Neutrality proponents claim that telecom companies seek to impose a tiered
service <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiered_service> model in order to
control the pipeline and thereby remove competition, create artificial
scarcity <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_scarcity>, and oblige
subscribers to buy their otherwise uncompetitive services. Many believe net
neutrality to be primarily important as a preservation of current freedoms.
[5] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality#cite_note-no-tolls-5>
Vinton
Cerf <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinton_Cerf>, considered a "father of
the Internet" and co-inventor of the Internet Protocol, Tim
Berners-Lee<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee>,
creator of the Web, and many others have spoken out in favor of network
neutrality.

Opponents of net neutrality claim that broadband service providers have no
plans to block content or degrade network
performance.[8]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality#cite_note-books.google.com-8>
Despite
this claim, there has been a single case where an Internet service
provider, Comcast, intentionally slowed
peer-to-peer<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer> (P2P)
communications.[9]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality#cite_note-9>
Still
other companies have begun to use deep packet
inspection<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection> to
discriminate against P2P, FTP, and online games, instituting a cell-phone
style billing system of
overages<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellphone_overage_charges>,
free-to-telecom "value added" services, and
bundling.[10]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality#cite_note-10>
Critics
of net neutrality also argue that data
discrimination<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_discrimination> of
some kinds, particularly to guarantee quality of
service<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service>,
is not problematic, but is actually highly desirable. Bob
Kahn<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Kahn>,
co-inventor of the Internet Protocol, has called the term net neutrality a
"slogan" and states that he opposes establishing it, but he admits that he
is against the fragmentation of the net whenever this becomes excluding to
other participants.[11]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality#cite_note-kahn-vid-11>
Opponents
of net neutrality regulation also argue that the best solution to
discrimination by broadband providers is to encourage greater competition
among such providers, which is currently limited in many
areas.[12]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality#cite_note-podhoretz-post-12>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality

So what does the Africa Position on ITRs (International Telecommunications
Regulations) mean to us?

>From the proposal one can deduce that we now intend to turn around Net
Neutrality on its head and give ISPs/Telcos a legal standing to charge
content providers and application service providers for the privilege of
their customers to access any website.

What would be  the effect of this? As I said in my earlier posting the
principle around this is flawed. Why? Because this opens up the opportunity
for discrimination and anti-competitive tendencies. We are aware now that
some Telcos and ISPs are moving into Content Provision through the Triple
Play Mantra (TV, Phone and Internet). What is to stop discrimination in the
guise of competition? We must be careful that we do not put a regulator's
stamp in a competitiveness environment in favor of one player /industry
against another.

Nation, Standard, Citizen, Iqra, Google, CIO East Africa, Ma3Racer,
Pesapal, Facebook, Twitter etc will all then be bundled together and the
prerogative of the ISP/Telco will be what rules and NOT Market Conditions.

I have argued before about the ISP/Telco space and whether the current
scenario calls for a re-thinking of the business as usual model. There
seems to be a tacit agreement that something is amiss where some players
(the majority it seems) seem to be bleeding red ink. I cannot presume to be
an expert in this space but could the logical step be one of sharing
infrastructure to reduce Capex as opposed to everyone running around
digging up the whole country in an 'arms race'? Is this an area where the
regulator can assist? There is a legend around how Dr.Ndemo (Permanent
Secretary, Ministry of Information & Communication) managed to get the
first undersea cable landed in Nairobi despite industry not pulling in the
same direction (I don't know how true or false this is but the fact that it
is being bandied around is in itself a red flag). I suggested possibly that
the industry may want to embrace the Principles of 'Frenemy'?

Let's ensure we maintain the current status quo that has enabled innovation
and entreprenuership in the ICT Sector to blossom. The current discourse
about whether 'Silicon Savannah' needs to grow up and move towards creating
viable and sustainable businesses is what we should discuss NOT seek to
change the very environment that made this possible.

My two cents (with a bull-dog mentality) :-)

Ali Hussein

PS. It would be interesting to know the position of KICT Board, KITOS,
iHub, Nailab (and other hubs), TESPOK etc.

On Nov 9, 2012, at 3:27 PM, "Wambua, Christopher" <Wambua at cck.go.ke> wrote:

 Ali****

** **

Thanks for submitting substantive comments on the African Common Proposals
on the ITRs.   ****

** **

I wish to invite you to the Stakeholders Meeting on WCIT-12 scheduled for
Tuesday 13th November 2012 at the Laico Regency Hotel starting from
9.00a.m.  Your input together with others that have been raised to date
shall be addressed during the said stakeholders meeting. ****

** **

Listers wishing to participate in the meeting are requested to send their
confirmations to Mary Kioko through kioko at cck.go.ke as soon as possible.****

** **

Best regards,****

** **