[kictanet] Vodafone takes home Sh1bn of M-Pesa revenue

John Kieti jkieti at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 09:19:20 EAT 2012

People,

Its quite an old problem here. Its not about number of GOK board seats. Its
not even about brand (trademark) ownership. Its about who's interest the
CEO was serving when the deal was being decided hence apparent IP/licence
ownership and renenue share anomaly.

It boils down to who signs the CEO's "substantive contract" hence where
ultimate allegiance lies when the nominating entity has vested economic
interest in a negotiation (if not a simple executive decision).

Govt. Board members can derive consolation from fact that "Vodaphone's
mpesa deployment" in Kenya has had much positive impact to the local
economy (researchers please quantify!). Also discount the cost of Germany
based infrastructure related downtimes. Only other question would be "what
could that sh1b+ every year have done on mobile infrastracture development
if it was not being repatriated in that fashion?

I may be very wrong but thats my 20 cents.

Rgds