[kictanet] Interesting case on Intermediary liabilities/Protection

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 11:20:23 EAT 2012

Thanks Paul for the link.
It raises the concern we raised here. What happens if someone requests an intermediary to bring down harmful/libelous content but the said intermediary does not deem that particular content harmful? An excerpt from the article: In 2009 Mr Trkulja's lawyers contacted Google to ask it to amend its results, and subsequently filed a lawsuit. Google argued that its results had been based on automated software processes and that, since it was not a publisher itself, put forward the defence of "innocent dissemination".

In the meantime, please see this http://www.citmedialaw.org/section-230. Would it be possible for Kenya to have this kind of provision?   Under section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, news organizations are protected from defamation liability for content that is created by a third party. The law protects YouTube from libel lawsuits, and it protects bloggers and news organizations from defamatory comments that users may post. The law also protects retweets. So if a journalist or news organization were to retweet a defamatory statement, they would not be held accountable. If, however, they added a defamatory remark as part of the retweet, they could be.
Interesting.
RgdsGG