[kictanet] Is MNP rocket science?

Esau Kigen kigenkoech at gmail.com
Wed May 30 18:01:08 EAT 2012

Hello Francis & Tony
It seems the whole cloud surrounding MNP remains far from being addressed,
mainly at a wide level (mobile subscribers & telco staff alike).
Here is my insight about the process (my domain revolves partly on this);
MNP isn't rocket science atleast if one understands the overall process,
kindly let me explain.
The porting process always occurs simultaneous i.e (a port IN to a new
network is a port OUT from the donor or current network), here is how;
1.) A client/subscriber approaches the intended new operator and requests
for a PORT IN application.
2.) Required details are captured and the port in request dispatched from
the MNP Tool (or similar application software designed to handle the
porting processes).
3.) Immediately after, the client/subscriber is urged to send SMS to 1501.
Reason for this is the port IN application cannot start without the owner
of the line VALIDATING the process which is by sending the SMS.
PS: At this point, the porting IN request is at "AWAITING CUSTOMER" status,
it can remain at this state for upto 48 HRS before timing out afterwhich
the porting IN application will have to be re-initiated from the start
(Steps 1-)
4.) Upon sending the SMS to 1501, the client will receive  one of two SMS
indicating below (the first one)
PS: Actually the during the whole process, 2 SMSs are sent one is
acknowledgement and commencement of the PORTING IN process and the last
(second) Informs the subscriber to switch (physically) the old simcard with
the new operator's simcard (which by should have/reflect the number being
ported IN) before the old simcard is TERMINATED from the old network
provider.
***********BEHIND THE SCENES*********************
a.) After the being validated, the Portin IN request is sent to the Current
Operator (which the client rides on) through an intermediary (seamless)
from the would-be new Operator.
b.) Upon receiving this (the Current Operator), begins now a PORT OUT
process. Here is what goes behind, the line is queried to determine if its
pre-paid or has outstanding credit advancement or its on post-paid and has
uncleared bills. If all this checks out (false for the credit and bills),
then the request is AUTHORISED to port OUT.
c.) Upon receiving this AUTHORISATION, the would be new operator creates
your old number onto the simcard which was earlier given to you at the
Telco Shop level, Afterwhich, INSTRUCTION is sent to the current Operator
to now TERMINATE the line.
PS: A line can only EXIST in ONE operators HLR (Home Location Register),
there can be no duality otherwise calling that number will result 'no
routing of calls' i.e calls wont go through.
d.) Here the current Operator completes the process by TERMINATING the line
(which at this stage the line will go dead after receiving SMS 2, read
point 4) and the process is COMPLETED.
Next i will tackle the different scenarious that subscribers face and what
they mean.

Hope this Proves useful

Kind Regards,

Esau