[kictanet] RESPONSES FROM ENGINEER KIDENDA ON THE STATE OF KENYAN ROADS

Eric Aligula jairah at kippra.or.ke
Wed May 30 15:47:56 EAT 2012

Listers

Generally, road safety audits involve the deliberate evaluation of road
development schemes during design, construction and operation with the
specific purpose of identifying potential road safety challenges to any
road user (pedestrians and drivers) and proposing mitigation measures
(countermeasures) to remove or mitigate those challenges.  It is a
formal, written process involving signed reports.

The import of this discussion would be to support KENHA and all other
road authorities to pursue the integration of these processes in our
road infrastructure development processes.

Part of the reason why this process should be an arm's length process is
the fact that segregation of functions is key to ensuring significant
reductions in the cost of road crashes on the economy.  I submit it is
part of the overall effort of reducing the cost of doing business in the
country for both domestic and foreign investors.

Kind regards

Eric Aligula Magolo, PhD

Programmes Coordinator & Ag. Head, Infrastructure and Economic Services
Division

Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA)

P.O. Box 56445, 00200 Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:       +254-20-2719933/4
Fax:                +254-20-2719951
E-mail:            jairah at kippra.or.ke <mailto:jairah at kippra.or.ke>

Proudly Kenyan, Kenyan by Nature!

"In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been
granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I
do not shrink from this responsibility..........I welcome it."

John F. Kennedy

"To allow other people's assessment of you to determine your own
self-assessment is a very big mistake"

Columbia University President Lee Bollinger

"Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though
checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray
twilight that knows not victory, nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi"

"Per aspera ad astra!"