[kictanet] RESPONSES FROM ENGINEER KIDENDA ON THE STATE OF KENYAN ROADS

Steve Muchai smuchai at gmail.com
Wed May 30 12:33:15 EAT 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM, James Mbugua <jgmbugua at gmail.com> wrote:
> Listers
>
> I have removed them from the attachment and copied into the body of
> the mail for easier reading.

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised to see a response, but was
disappointed on reading further - these are standard boilerplate

> 5. Why does the government award contracts to companies that do not do their job
> professionally?
>
> Government contracts are awarded in accordance with the provisions of the
> Public Procurement and Disposal Act, 2005 and Regulations, 2006. This includes
> competitive bidding process through tendering and award to the lowest
> evaluated bid.

This does not answer the question. Are there any punitive measures
taken against contractors who perform sub-standard work? An example is
the Magumu-Njabini road, on which repair works were completed in 2003
but by 2005, some sections were already degraded. Today the road is
terrible. A report by the Controller and Auditor-General specifically
mentions the works on this road as unsatisfactory
(http://bit.ly/LGMKK5 - Section 4 onwards).

Regards,
Steve.