[kictanet] The role of Media in political developement

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.or.ke
Wed May 16 22:38:30 EAT 2012

Bwana Ndemo and David,

On the contrary, I watch the show weekly from show No 1 (when I'm around) - Unfortunately Citizen is not online to watch out of country!

I have absolutely no problem with straight talk - that's my style. I don't fault David and co for the hard hitting questions. Don't get me wrong.

My problem David is the mentality of Kenyans that we must have notables in our crowds to be seen to be going somewhere and also that mainstream media only goes for the "big guys".By giving them too much airtime, we have politics dominating our lives and Kenyans become spectators in their own development! We need to alter the game! And media has a big role to play (hope the new crop at the media council are listening).

If we create a level playing field for all, we will change how politics is played in this country....it must be issue based, period. Politicians had better change their game going forward and focus on issues.

I agree with Bwana Ndemo that you should widen the Cheche platform to link to social media, sms,  community radio etc (all converged into one platform) that would allow every Kenyan to interrogate the array of potential "leaders". I must say that Martha is being strategic in showing up where the youth are...in the unexpected places....and to focus on issues because that's what Kenyans want.

David, lets build the platfrom and they will come...those who avoid it will soon be isolated...and for survival they would not dodge, but be ready to face the "hard hitting questions".

Edith