[kictanet] Fwd: The African Development Bank launches an eHealth award

William Warero wwarero at gmail.com
Tue May 8 15:40:02 EAT 2012

Just to add to the E-health discussion I saw on ICT Works, a related
program by the Gates Foundation that seeks to innovate immunization systems:

Deadline May 15! Gates Foundation seeks ideas to optimize immunization
systems

Ground-breaking ideas often come from people like you who know that
information systems are a critical component of any effective health
program.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Grand Challenges Explorations grant
program encourages bold ideas from innovative thinkers by offering
US$100,000 grants to prove the potential of new approaches to optimize
immunization systems. Examples of information system innovations could
include logistics management and vaccine tracking software; low-cost,
durable hardware and devices to improve data collection and accuracy; or
other interventions.

There is still time to apply—the deadline is May 15! All you need to do is
submit a TWO-PAGE proposal outlining why your idea is innovative, how
you’ll prove it, and the impact it will have.

Priority areas for funding include:

• Vaccine product characteristics.
• Supply system design.
• Environmental impact.
• Information systems.
• Human resources.
• Vaccination acceptance.

Ideal proposals should be responsive to the topic area, daring in premise,
and clearly different from the approaches currently under investigation or
employed. Solutions should focus on the operational aspects of immunization
systems and must have the potential to be scaled up or reproduced in
multiple low-resource settings.
For further information about the grant, please visit:
http://tinyurl.com/immunizationsystems. For application tips, please visit:
http://tinyurl.com/GCEtips. If you have additional questions, feel free to
email: GCEhelp at gatesfoundation.org

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Victor Gathara <vgathara at vimak.co.ke> wrote:

> Francis,
>
> While it is true that ehealth holds huge potential there is insufficient
> evidence to convince national governments it is really worth investing in.
> We need programmes at scale but building them is not easy. Building a
> strong evidence base would be a step in the right direction.
>
> Victor
> On 7 May 2012 16:47, "Francis Hook" <francis.hook at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks.   If there is one sector that can benefit from ICT, its the
>> health sector (to enhance speed of services, accuracy of records,
>> accrue usable research data, telemedicine, reduce costs, etc).
>>
>> Oft I have remarked abt how we tend to always gravitate towards "ICT
>> for everything" - which sort of calls to mind the saying "if the only
>> tool you have is a hammer, you tend to view every problem as a nail".
>>  And that calls to mind a recent discussion on this list abt a certain
>> road that uses up two lives every day (vis a vis how many lost waiting
>> for healthcare at clinics?) With all due respect to the contributors
>> of that thread - where ICT is somehow supposed to solve or ameliorate
>> long standing/pent up cultural/social/economic/infrastructure
>> problems...with e-health such interventions can be huge, immediately
>> realised and for the greater good.   And there will be no fear about
>> corruption - no need to enforce any laws or create new ones....
>>

>> On 7 May 2012 09:02, Victor Gathara <vgathara at vimak.co.ke> wrote:
>> > Not sure if this has circulated on the list but it may be of interest to
>> > some here.
>> >
>> > Victor
>> > ______________________
>> >

>> > The African Development Bank launches an eHealth award - Please share
>> the
>> > information
>> >

>> > On 19 April, the African Development Bank (AfDB) launched a competition
>> for
>> > innovative and sustainable information and communication technology
>> (ICT)
>> > solutions for the health sector in Africa. The eHealth Award aims to
>> > discover current work being done in the fields of e- and m-health in
>> Africa;
>> > to encourage the production and sharing of knowledge on eHealth
>> solutions,
>> > and provide added value through the sharing of lessons learnt in e- and
>> > m-health.
>> >
>> > The award targets a range of participants, including individuals, NGOs,
>> > development organizations, companies, academic institutions and research
>> > facilities. The criteria and focus of the award are centered on a)
>> using ICT
>> > to increase access to health services, particularly for the poor and
>> > marginalized b) using ICT to increase the utilization of essential
>> health
>> > services and/or c) the evaluation of eHealth solutions to improve
>> efficiency
> [...]

*William Warero*
*Skype:william.warero| Twitter:wwarero

http://www.produsoul.wordpress.com