[kictanet] Fwd: The African Development Bank launches an eHealth award

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:47:09 EAT 2012

Thanks.   If there is one sector that can benefit from ICT, its the
health sector (to enhance speed of services, accuracy of records,
accrue usable research data, telemedicine, reduce costs, etc).

Oft I have remarked abt how we tend to always gravitate towards "ICT
for everything" - which sort of calls to mind the saying "if the only
tool you have is a hammer, you tend to view every problem as a nail".
 And that calls to mind a recent discussion on this list abt a certain
road that uses up two lives every day (vis a vis how many lost waiting
for healthcare at clinics?) With all due respect to the contributors
of that thread - where ICT is somehow supposed to solve or ameliorate
long standing/pent up cultural/social/economic/infrastructure
problems...with e-health such interventions can be huge, immediately
realised and for the greater good.   And there will be no fear about
corruption - no need to enforce any laws or create new ones....

On 7 May 2012 09:02, Victor Gathara <vgathara at vimak.co.ke> wrote:
> Not sure if this has circulated on the list but it may be of interest to
> some here.
>
> Victor
> ______________________
>

> The African Development Bank launches an eHealth award - Please share the
> information
>

> On 19 April, the African Development Bank (AfDB) launched a competition for
> innovative and sustainable information and communication technology (ICT)
> solutions for the health sector in Africa. The eHealth Award aims to
> discover current work being done in the fields of e- and m-health in Africa;
> to encourage the production and sharing of knowledge on eHealth solutions,
> and provide added value through the sharing of lessons learnt in e- and
> m-health.
>
> The award targets a range of participants, including individuals, NGOs,
> development organizations, companies, academic institutions and research
> facilities. The criteria and focus of the award are centered on a) using ICT
> to increase access to health services, particularly for the poor and
> marginalized b) using ICT to increase the utilization of essential health
> services and/or c) the evaluation of eHealth solutions to improve efficiency
> in the delivery of health services.
>
> The deadline for submissions from participants is 30 May 2012.  Submissions
> should be an abstract of 500 words from their projects, after which the
> shortlisted candidates will need to produce an evaluation report. The
> winning projects will be presented in an AfDB publication and winners will
> be given a prize.
> All information can be found on the Bank’s website
> (http://www.afdb.org/en/news-and-events/article/afdb-launches-ehealth-award-to-seek-african-ict-health-solutions-9067/ )

Francis Hook
+254 733 504561