[kictanet] IF CCK CHOOSES TO MONITOR INTERNET TRAFFIC, WILL IT ALSO MANAGE TO BLOCK TORRENTS THAT CONSUME BANDWIDTH?

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue May 1 14:54:11 EAT 2012

It would appear "not very clever" to block peer to peer networks and
torrents for that matter. Torrents may be used to pirate Intellectual
Property but that is not what the protocol was build for. It enables
people to move huge files even with limited bandwidth. Because cars
kill on the road, do we block all cars from using a road?

On 01/05/2012, John Gitau <jgitau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly what does everyone have against torrents?
>
> Granted some people misuse them but fighting a protocol for being efficient
> is just not feasible.
>
> Gitau
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 1 May 2012, at 14:35, Gichuki John Chuksjonia <chuksjonia at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> CCK will have to hire very tough hackers to be able to bypass some of
>> the security protocols most of us use. And with the lack of capacity
>> in KE, hiring guys from Eastern Europe for this, will be expensive.
>> Automation in Information Security never works, only for the lazy.
>>

>> So don't believe everything you hear.
>>
>> Kindly,
>>

>> ./Chucks
>>
>> On 5/1/12, Peter Wakaba <peterwakaba at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> first, torrents evolve. Will CCK evolve as fast? I dont think so. ( THEY
>>> WILL END UP STUCK WITH EXPENSIVE/OBSOLTE SOFTWARE/ HARDWARE)
>>> Second, torrent clients are not generic, so will CCK be able to pin down
>>> all the different types? I dont know.
>>> Third, in the west they have decided to take down the largest pirates
>>> (read
>>> TIM dot Com and Newzealand). But even then, with Napster down,
>>> Megaupload
>>> gone... i still have thousands of peers seeding from every torrent i
>>> download.
>>>
>>> Its only a matter of time before someone else come up with something
>>> that
>>> makes torrents obsolete. rather than blockading the media owners should
>>> be
>>> thinking disruptive techonology, something that makes torrents
>>> irrelevant.
>>>
>>> My two cents.
>>>

>> --
>> --
>> Gichuki John Ndirangu, C.E.H , C.P.T.P, O.S.C.P
>> I.T Security Analyst and Penetration Tester
>> jgichuki at inbox d0t com
>>
>> {FORUM}http://lists.my.co.ke/pipermail/security/
>> http://chuksjonia.blogspot.com/

>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
>> development.

> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
> development.

Mwendwa Kivuva
For
Business Development
Transworld Computer Channels
Cel: 0722402248
twitter.com/lordmwesh
transworldAfrica.com | Fluent in computing
kenya.or.ke | The Kenya we know