[kictanet] Fw: [AfrICANN-discuss] US ISPs commit to new cybersecurity measures

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:10:07 EAT 2012

On 3/23/12, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
> thnx Alice for the post.
>
> the key word/thread in your post is cooperation and voluntary implementation
> between the US regulator and the ISPs/Telcos in the CyberSecurity space in
> the US

and I would add that TESPOk already supplies info about botnets and
Internet route hijacking, etc to ISPs and government agencies who run
infected networks here in Kenya.

> Unfortunately, I am neither an ISP nor a Telco and so am not quite sure how
> many ISP/Telcos are members of our Kenyan CyberCrime unit at CCK (ofcourse
> others may argue that for national security reasons they do need to be
> there?).
>
> The moral of my thread is that we can actually have ISPs installing security
> gadgets (illegal or otherwise) on their networks as long as they feel they
> are  part of the process. The moment they feel left out, they easily hide
> behind legalese and can make the going pretty rough and expensive for
> everyone

Expensive is right, a Deep Packet Inspection system for the whole
country will cost 10's of Millions of USD to put in place, plus they
will need a small army of analysts to make sense of the data.....but
really If I am doing something illegal, why would I send unencrypted
messages via an operators network?

If I really wanted to avoid a DPI setup, I would use a VSAT, which
can't be routed to a central inspection point!

--
Cheers,

McTim