[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Media Misleading Citizens?-One Man Security?

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 10:48:33 EAT 2012

The askari at your gate is a personal choice and can be defined as the
implementation of a concept called "Defense in depth" which basically means
that you opt not to rely on one security measure alone. This concept is
optional and discretionary, for example, I don't have an askari at my gate
because I am generally happy about the other measures that have been put in
place by Govt, municipality and the neighborhood committee.

National security (the sole premise of Government) in this day and age
guards against a myriad of actors such as violent non-state actors (this
category includes terrorists), narcotic cartels, multinational corporations
(believe it or not) and like it or not, non-governmental organisations.

Wkipedia quite accurately cites:

Measures taken to ensure national security include:

   - using diplomacy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy> to rally
   allies and isolate threats
   - marshalling economic power to facilitate or compel cooperation
   - maintaining effective armed
forces<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_forces>
   - implementing civil defense <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_defense>
    and emergency
preparedness<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_preparedness>
measures
   (including anti-terrorism
legislation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-terrorism_legislation>
   )
   - ensuring the resilience and redundancy of critical
infrastructure<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_infrastructure>
   - using intelligence
services<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_service> to
   detect and defeat or avoid threats and
espionage<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espionage>,
   and to protect classified
information<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classified_information>
   - using counterintelligence<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterintelligence>
services
   or secret police <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_police> to protect
   the nation from internal threats

I think we should let our government do it's job and engage to the extent
that we ensure that our civil liberties are protected.

Regards,

Brian

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> not really.
>
> How can we agree that "preservation of security is the role of state
> organs" when it is patently obvious that most properties in the
> country need private guards?
>
> rgds,
>
> McTim
>
> On 3/22/12, Brian Munyao Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I think this is disproven by the fact that almost every property in KE
> >> has at least one private askari!
> >>

> > I hope that was said tongue-in-cheek...
> >
> > --
> > Brian Munyao Longwe
> > e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com
> > cell:  +254715964281
> > blog : http://zinjlog.blogspot.com
> > meta-blog: http://mashilingi.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Give us clear vision that we may know where to stand and what to stand
> > for, because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything."
> >

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim

Brian Munyao Longwe