[kictanet] Khan Academy - for a more differentiated take

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 16:53:49 EAT 2012

Hi Andrea,

As mentioned in the article children tend to find different ways to use the same tool, I believe that is called creativity. Many of us learn in different ways and what Khan does is allow us the flexibility that the traditional classroom format does not.

My elder son uses Khan to re-enforce the days lessons as opposed to how Khan indicated in Ted that it should be used as the lesson and the class session dedicated to other activities.  His younger sibling tends to prefer learning ahead of the class.

The arguments are not really about whether KhanAcademy is effective or not but more narrowing down on what his application was, Khan would have been better off not trying to straight jacket the application but more left it out there and observed the creative uses it is being put to (think Hole in the Wall experiment).

I use Khan to get better clarity on a concept, my appreciation of financial terms has greatly benefited from the videos.

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200