[kictanet] Status of IPv6 deployment in Kenya

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 13:01:46 EAT 2012

On 3/19/12, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Walu,
>
> What was the mandate of the Kenyan IPv6 Task Force? I hope it's not just
> another boardroom Task Force.
>
> I saw the following on FaceBook yesterday:
> "When Asia trained engineers Africa trained experts in debate. Can't fix
> roads by simply organizing stakeholder consultations."It can be further
> said that we can't fix IPv6 by simply appointing Task Forces.

Tell that to the Koreans and Japanese, whose TFs have pushed them to
to fore in v6 usage...a decade ago!

In addition, AFNOG, et. al., have been training African engineers on
v6 since 2005.

> The adoption of IPv6 should be driven, first by need, then by the entities
> responsible for assigning the IPs. I think it should be that simple. I
> still don't see why it needed a Task Force.

Because as yet there is no "perceived need".

> Let me look at this from the simplest terms:
>
> I think the pace of adoption does not have to be driven by pressure from
> other sides of the planet, but by the RIRs,

The RIRs HAVE been leading on this for over a decade.

but still based on need. An RIR
> may shout from the rooftops that they have depleted their IPv4 space, but
> "allocation" and "assignment" are two different things, right?

No RIR has yet exhausted their IP4v space completely.

> They may be over with their allocation, while the entities allocated those
> IPs haven't assigned all of them, and are still comfortable. Now, does the
> RIR start forcing the entities (mostly ISPs) to start using their IPv6
> allocations? No.

As co-chair of the AfriNIC Policy Working Group, I would be happy to
see you put forth a proposal to encourage v6 usage.   However, I don't
see how "forcing" folks would work.  What "carrots" or "sticks" would
you suggest?

--
Cheers,

McTim