[kictanet] Dr. Ndemo & the KBC Staff Strike

lordmwesh lordmwesh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 15:54:09 EAT 2012

>The study makes several recommendations for example the need for a new KBC
Act that  guarantee editorial independence for the KBC.

Editorial independence by KBC would not be a wise move. Even BBC promotes
Imperial and British agenda across the world. KBC in the same breadth
should promote the Kenyan agenda in the region

On 8 March 2012 12:42, Bitange Ndemo <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:

> [...]
> education and with skills in areas indicated in the KBC Act section
> 4(1). This requirement to have board members with specialized skills has
> not always been followed. In the course of the research, I was informed
> that  KBC has even at some point had board members who had no inkling of
> specific tasks of the broadcaster. Many are the times when the board has
> had members who are retired civil servants and politicians who did not
> make it to Parliament as a way of being rewarded.
>
> 3. KBC has a staff contingent of 890 members excluding artistes,
>  marketing freelancers and part-timers. Between 2005 and 2008, the
> Corporation reduced its  workforce drastically from 1 300. Artistes are
> like correspondents who have a retainer (not a salary). This is a bloated
> workforce.
>
> 4. The salaries of KBC staff – the middle and lower levels in particular
> – are low and out of kilter with those in the wider broadcasting
> industry. The low salaries have resulted in a high staff turnover as
> other stations offer better pay packages: This happens especially after
> staff have undergone training which KBC provides in conjunction with
> international organisations such as the BBC and Deutsche Welle (DW).
> Infact there are unconfirmed reports that the entire KBC Maasai service has
> been poached by a competitor. Staff also complained on the way promotions
> have been effected suggesting favoritism.
>
> The study makes several recommendations for example the need for a new KBC
> Act that  guarantee editorial independence for the KBC, and has a design
> for a modern organisational structure. Further, after the enactment of new
> legislation for the KBC and the establishment of a new board, *the
> government should take over all debts on the Corporation’s books to enable
> KBC make a new start with a clean slate.*
> * *
> Rgds
> GG

> If you have the strength to survive, you have the power to succeed. Life
> is all about choices we make depending upon the situation we are in. Go
> forth and rule the World!
>

> ------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 05:57:01 +0000
> From: <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk>robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
> Subject: Re: [kictanet] Dr. Ndemo & the KBC Staff Strike
> CC: <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke
> To: <ggithaiga at hotmail.com>ggithaiga at hotmail.com
>
> PS Ndemo,
>
> Just a quick question, does KBC have a HR department?
>
> Regards
>
> Robert Yawe
> KAY System Technologies Ltd
> Phoenix House, 6th Floor
> P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
> Kenya
>
> Tel: +254722511225 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting
> +254722511225      end_of_the_skype_highlighting, +254202010696begin_of_the_skype_highlighting
>             +254202010696      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Mwendwa Kivuva
For
Business Development
Transworld Computer Channels
Cel: 0722402248
twitter.com/lordmwesh
transworldAfrica.com | Fluent in computing
kenya.or.ke | The Kenya we know