[kictanet] LTE - Still not clear on the status

John Gitau jgitau at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 22:52:11 EAT 2012

It has been several months since I asked about the status of LTE. Im
following up with a few questions and hope that since the technical
guys at EANOG
<http://orion.my.co.ke/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/eanog>are still interested
we can get some answers.

1: Can I assume that the government is focused on the frequencies below
1GHz in use by the UHF spectrum?
2: Considering all channels are not used in all areas within the country,
(commonly known as TV white space) is it possible for at least one vendor
to show us using such free channels in some rural part of the country how
this frequencies are ideal for good propagation and the maximum throughputs
we'd expect? ie go beyond the physics and actually show us?
- This is important for companies planning rural wifi. It wont make sense
to make such an investment if cheaper options exist.
- This would mean that the LTE devices don't interfere with Television and
obviously they would have to withstand/tolerate interferance from
television signals.
- This is probably a long shot but it would be nice to imagine it was
considered. Im sure we have alot of 'white space'.
3: How will you control spectrum access?
4: Is there a chance that this will be licence exempted like the 2.4GHz
band? I would expect some control but maybe no fee. I think this is where
the consortium came in but I can't honestly say I understood this model yet
or who is in it, what their role is etc...
5: How soon is this expected and would you advice an investor to go ahead
with other modes of mass broadband provision. Lets just call it WIFI?
-Are broadcasters keen on moving on to digital? or is there a push back?

Im sure others will come up but those are the ones top on my mind at the
moment.

Gitau