[kictanet] Dr. Ndemo & the KBC Staff Strike

godera at skyweb.co.ke godera at skyweb.co.ke
Tue Mar 6 16:22:01 EAT 2012

Dr.Ndemo,

I am not sure though why you are surprised at the number of applications.
The rate of educated unemployed youth is a time bomb in waiting in this beloved
nation of ours.
I am hoping others in position of influence are reading this.
It is very dangerous watching the strikes move from one group to another. The
warning signals are so clear to see.
Is anyone out there who is vying for Presidency watching this?
If so, what are the solutions on offer before any explosion?
I dare to ask.
As you have correctly stated, there was corruption and mis-use of funds- I would
say the employees are aware of this too and are wondering why they should be
paying the price.
We need to ask ourselves,how and when will this be put to an end and people made
accountable.
You are now having to bear the brunt of something you were not party to.
Time for Kenyans to wake up!

Kind regards,

Gilda

Quoting bitange at jambo.co.ke:

> Washington,
> KBC would emerge strong from this crisis.  We found KBC with a debt of
> Ksh. 20 billion.  It used be the conduit for corruption through dumping of
> technology especially the Medium Wave (MW) just as FM was emerging.  It
> cost ten times more running a medium wave station than it is with FM.  We
> are changing this.  So far we have six new FM stations replacing the old
> technology.
>
> We have spilit the organization into theree, that is, infrastructure under
> Signet, Public Broadcast and Commercial Broabcast.  The later two will
> basically content providers and would worry less on infrastructure that
> will be supplied by Signet.
>
> The strike was unnecessary since we had commited to implementing their
> demands.  I had personally issued a circular to that effect.  Even the
> Union they had joined advised them that the strike was illegal but
> unfortunately they defied this.  Even more unfortunate they denounced the
> Union out of anger.
>
> We shall continue with the reforms and improve their welfare.  It is not
> in our interest to see those we work with in the streets.  I was shocked
> to realize that we have thousands of Kenyans seeking for employment.  I
> think some of you may have watched TV the heaps of applications.  By
> yesterday we had in excess of 10,000.  I was not misquoted because on
> Sunday I was at the station and there were more than 1,000 applications.
> We must do something for our brothers and sisters.  Either we start
> teaching them on areas of wealth creation or find ways of creating massive
> employment.  We are trying in our sector but we have not done enough.
>

> Ndemo.
>
> > On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 21:06, Dennis Kioko <dmbuvi at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I feel we should sort out our National Broadcaster. It's a pity that
> >> other
> >> private media stations have taken over KBCs position as we stood by and
> >> watched. At the moment, KBC still has good will and can recover.
> >>
> >> It also does not make sense for we to push for cutting edge initiatives
> >> such as Konza, TEAMS if we are going to let the state at KBC remain as
> >> it
> >> is. I am sure they can play  a major role in local content creation.
> >>
> >> Having colleagues in the journalistic filed at KBC, I have heard rumours
> >> of situation where the national broadcaster's crew were first at ground
> >> breaking events (read disasters) in the country. However, such news is
> >> broken by private radio stations where the footage is sold even before
> >> it
> >> ever gets to KBCs studios. I have even heard more rumours of the
> >> broadcasters equipment being used to shoot footage that ends up with
> >> private broadcasters.
> >>
> >> I am sure the leaked payslips of staff at Standard Media Group
> >>
> <http://thejackalnews.com/media-news/news-media/1688-horror-of-massive-salary-
discrepancies-at-standard-group-exposed>led