[kictanet] Kenya Power Plans Sh20 Billion Cable Shift

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 21:54:29 EAT 2012

Kenya Power expects to save Sh3billion a year by relocating its overhead
power distribution cables to an underground system in the major urban areas
of Nairobi, Kisumu and Mombasa in a Sh20billion project. The project will
involve undergrounding of 645Kilometres of 11Kilovolt lines and 1,570Km of
low power voltage lines. Vandalism prone transformers will now be placed in
pad-mounted substations along roads reserves.

MD Joseph Njoroge said the project will pilot in Nairobi's Upper Hill Area
before moving to Industrial Area and then to Mombasa. Njoroge said the
utility company is considering a proposal by the Chinese National Machinery
Equipment Import and Export Corporation to carry out the project on an
engineering, procurement and construct basis. "It's not yet finalized but
we are working on a proposal to undertake the work in Upper Hill as a
pilot," the MD who spoke at a stakeholders meeting in Nairobi said.

Once complete, the project is expected to stabilize power supply and cur
Kenya Power's operational costs. "It will have huge savings we have
actually done what we would call a feasibility and the ROI is in the region
of 18 per cent so we should be able to recoup back out investment in six
years," Njoroge said. "We are talking of a saving of about Sh3billion every
year." Nairobi will have 375Km of 11Kv cabling and 930Km of low voltage
cabling with 740 pad-mounted substations.

Mombasa will see 200Km of 11Kv and 400Km of low voltage cabling and
establish of 330 pad-mounted stations. "As an example, we commissioned a
new 2.5Km State House Road underground feeder from Cathedral Road last
May," Njoroge said. "The Norfolk Hotel feeder from Parklands will be
undergrounded by May this year."

Kenya Power had invited various authorities such as the Ministry of Energy,
the Kenya Urban Roads Authority, the Kenya Rural Roads Authority, Nairobi
City Council, Nairobi Water and Sewerage Board and telecommunications
companies. The utility is seeking a joint project development approach
since different entities are also involved in laying underground
infrastructure resulting in frequent service interruptions when cables are
cut or water pipes punctured. Representatives from the KURA and KRRA asked
Kenya Power to share its design plans so that they can compare them with
their road designs to avoid conflict.

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201203011290.html
--
with Regards: